Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

googlogmob
Advocate II
Advocate II

Dashboards are not refreshing

The problem is that dashboard tiles are not refreshing, whereas the report connected to the dashboard is updating properly according to the set schedule.
This problem became very frequent about a week ago, at the same time as the Shapes option was added. Since that only manual update helps (I simply repin the tiles to the dashboard). As I pin a fresh tile to the dashboard, the similar tile pinned earlier also gets updated.
But after manual repining of the tile, it is not getting updated anymore, unless I repin it again.
Please, advice how the dashboards could be updated regularly and automatically (without my participation).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Amanda
Employee
Employee

Hi @googlogmob, Are you still see this issue? If so, can you file a support ticket at https://support.powerbi.com/ since may require more in depth troubleshooting. Thanks!

View solution in original post

80 REPLIES 80
AmberM
Helper II
Helper II

I have been having an issue with this since May. When will it be corrected, or do we need to find another solution?

@googlogmob wrote:

The problem is that dashboard tiles are not refreshing, whereas the report connected to the dashboard is updating properly according to the set schedule.
This problem became very frequent about a week ago, at the same time as the Shapes option was added. Since that only manual update helps (I simply repin the tiles to the dashboard). As I pin a fresh tile to the dashboard, the similar tile pinned earlier also gets updated.
But after manual repining of the tile, it is not getting updated anymore, unless I repin it again.
Please, advice how the dashboards could be updated regularly and automatically (without my participation).

Hi there

Remove the visualisan and add it again.

Regards

Niasha

Thank you Niasha, but I have had to do this the last 3 refreshes. The cell references are not changing, just the data being refreshed. I need to understand what the fix is for this so that it removes manually repinning tiles every week.

Thanks for feedback.

I would recommend unpublish App and republish it.

Please make sure you documented your report, dashboard elements and accesses as you may lose some them in this process.

It should fix the issue.

One more thing!

In the past, I could not see updates in APP while I was an admin in corresponding workspace.

I would recommend checking the app from one of your APP users (APP user only without access to corresponding workspace).

Regards

Niasha

Thank you! I will try that!

Anonymous
Not applicable

When data refershes, Alert is not sending notification to MS flow. Sometime it sends and sometime not. Any idea on this issue?

I'm having the same issue. Flow is looking to send out email alerts to a group of employees when alerts hit their threshold, however the "refresh" of the dashboard doesn't happen until I manually hit refresh.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

We have a report designed in PowerBI Deskptop that has a period filter in order the limit YTD comparisons for this year against last year. At the end of each period this filter is updated to reflect the new period and is published, overriding the existing reports. Everything has worked fine as the URL remains the same so links are not broken

I've now looked to build dashboards to reflect this updated data, but when the report is updated the dashboards are not. Why do dashboards on PowerBI have such a fundamental flaw? Is there a workaround?

Exeperiencing exactly same issue and following the topic for any potential solution. 

regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vippankapoor As you liked my post I assume your problem is similar to mine (A change in period filters not being reflected in dashbaords). 

My solution was to have a hidden page with visualisations specifically made to be used in the dashboards. Instead of using a slicer to update the period for YTD calculations I used a calculated column (named current period) on my period definition date table using the logic is DATE FIELD <= TODAY() to indicate all the dates before or equal today (returning TRUE or FALSE). Then I filtered all my measures for the dashboard by using IS PERIOD <= Max(Period where 'current period' = TRUE and Financial year = 'this year')

@Anonymous wrote:

My solution was to have a hidden page with visualisations specifically made to be used in the dashboards. Instead of using a slicer to update the period for YTD calculations I used a calculated column...

What do you mean by hidden page?

I am considering to build separate report on the same underlying data, with no slicers or filters, and just prepare measures like "show last 10 days" or something, and then pin visuals based on this measure (perhaps not measure but table/query on underlying data) to dashboard. Is your workarround the same idea?

I think there might be another solution for this: Tableau or QlikView.

For microsoft PowerBI seems not the core business, so they don't give a F about 5 years old issues. I wonder if other BI service suppliers share the same approach.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Doesn't seem like they work still.

Tried it today. Simple chart from a published report. Pinned it to a Dashboard. When the data in the report refreshes according to the scheduled refresh, the dashboard doesn't! Too bad as it could really help with not importing more datasets in different reports

aidas

Dear MICROSOFT! I see that this issue was reported in this thread back in June 2015. Now it's November 2017 and the issue still isn't solved! We are having the same problem all this year - reports are refreshing frequently, but dashboards - not. It's really hard to understand how company with such development resources is unable to solve such simple issue in 2.5 years! Smiley Mad

rlien1
Frequent Visitor

We are seeing the same issue.  No filters have changed, the reports refresh... the dashboards do not.

Very frustrating, especially for reports that update more than once per day.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes sir, SUPER frustrating.

So much so, in fact, I removed all dashboards and stay strictly in report mode for all of my visualizations. Its an absolutley poor work around but, we are making it work.

M$ support did attempt to solve the issue through multiple attempts but, were only successful with finding that filtered result sets do not transfer properly to the dashboards. Meaning, if you filter a date range on a report, when created and then the result set updates to a date further in the future, the pinned visualizations dont recognize the future date. They explained it with a matter of fact tone almost seeming like we were wrong for using date filters. Not a pleasant experience.

Now, we just use the reports as mentioned, at least until we can find a different platform that we like better.

Best of luck.

Agree, very frustrating.  So we make available the entire data (no filters) on the report.  We have placed a relative date filter slicer directly on the dashboard.  So then we design out a dashboard utilizing this relative date filter and pinning tiles.  One tile for last day, another tile for last 7 days etc...

Well as time passes the tiles are just blank now.  Have tried and retried, deleting and starting over with the same result.  If you go to the dashboard and open the tiles in focus mode you can see the relative date filters are working: The relative date filters all look correct meaning the last 7 days shows the last 7 days as of today (dynamically changing) as it should, however, the tile itself is not showing any data.  If I go back to the report and do the same filter that I created the tile with then it shows.  I can then repin, but again after so many days the tile just goes blank.

This seems to say that the underlying data is not being refreshed correctly for the dashboard, since it should either show the original data when pinned, or the up to date data.  However, it shows neither, it is just blank.  This leads me to think there is something wrong on Microsoft's end on the back end preventing us from using dynamic date filters for dashboard tiles.  My next attempt will be to either try via bookmarks or via date columns instead of the relative date filter.

It would be great if the relative date filters could be implemented for dashboard tiles!  Please help Microsoft!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried the same methods you have as well. I even attempted to show M$ support the same scenario during a remote session. They still claimed that it is not a bug but, a feature which allows the dashboard to be a "picture" of the data rather than a dynamic entity. I called BS on that and even said, "Isn't that the whole point of a dashboard? A fully dynamic visualization of the underlying data?" I could hear the uncomfortable silence.

As I mentioned before, we currently only use the report feature for distributing data. The dashbaords are too finicky and are prone to display issues. If everyone elses solutions weren't so darn expensive, we would have dumped PBI by now.

Also, I think M$ wont respond to this thread because it is marked "Solved" and off their radar. Can this be opened again?

Ok I reposted, i found what I am calling a "ghost date filter" in the filters for the tiles after pinning.  If you remove that filter it seems to show the correct data then.  (obviously you cannot save the tile after the fact)

Therefore I am calling the the ghost date filter bug

see post here:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Dashboards-Tiles-Turn-Blank-for-Relative-Date-Filter-Ghost-d...

farshidHosseini

I have the very same issues. I refresh data almost every week for a lot of reports. None of the dashboards are refreshing afterward. Couldn't find a solution! is there any? or I have to rebuild the same dashboard again and again and again ...

Any help is much appreciated,

Farshid

Before you pin any tile to dashboard make sure you did not select any slider filter in the report, otherwise it will always display the filtered data on dashboard.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors