Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

googlogmob
Advocate II
Advocate II

Dashboards are not refreshing

The problem is that dashboard tiles are not refreshing, whereas the report connected to the dashboard is updating properly according to the set schedule.
This problem became very frequent about a week ago, at the same time as the Shapes option was added. Since that only manual update helps (I simply repin the tiles to the dashboard). As I pin a fresh tile to the dashboard, the similar tile pinned earlier also gets updated.
But after manual repining of the tile, it is not getting updated anymore, unless I repin it again.
Please, advice how the dashboards could be updated regularly and automatically (without my participation).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Amanda
Employee
Employee

Hi @googlogmob, Are you still see this issue? If so, can you file a support ticket at https://support.powerbi.com/ since may require more in depth troubleshooting. Thanks!

View solution in original post

80 REPLIES 80
niasha
Advocate III
Advocate III

I have this porblem. Any solution ?

CRamirez
Advocate II
Advocate II

Any update on this issue?

Due to the lack of dashboard refresh, subscriptions are basically useless.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Solved! - Sort of....

After much deliberation with MS tech support, the problem was narrowed down to the date filter slider I was using.

@Anonymousis correct. When a tile on the dash is created from a filtered result set, the tile does not change when the result set is updated. It still thinks it is within a specific date range.

For example, if my results were narrowed down with a date slider to be between 01/01/17 and 9/20/17 and I created the dash tile on 9/20; on 9/21 the results would be the same as the day before. The tile retained the filtered date range I set previously, ignoring the new info. 

Sadly, it sort of makes sense. The way around it is to use "views". If you pin the tile as a view on your dash, the results pushed to the dash will be confined to the parameters set in the report. I personally set my query to pull a result set for the whole year allowing me a moving YTD date range to work with. As the date filter is only set on the "left" side (the beginning time) I leave the end time open to whatever the last result is. That way, my reports refresh which in turn keeps my pinned views on my dashboard accurate.

I hope this makes sense. It took me a while to get my head wrapped around it to be honest. Too many dates.

Good luck!!

yings
Frequent Visitor

Problem is still there!

skasper
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

This problem is not solved. Not sure, if Microsoft is still following this thread after it was marked as 'solved'.

@googlogmobPerhaps you could remove the 'solved' status again? As you can see in the thread, we are far from a solution one and a half years later ...

Thank you.

Best - Sascha
Please always mark accepted solutions. It helps others with similar questions or problems. Thank you.
olazo

Did you really find a solution? I see this problem is happening with a lot of people and I have not found the answer to this problem yet.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We are facing the same issue where the dashboard tiles dont refresh to whats in the report and often times confusing our users. 

I have to manually pin the charts to update the tiles. Please advise on solution. 

Thanks!

chatelainsamuel
Regular Visitor

Hi My dashboard is not refreshing properly this morning. Can you help?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I have a dashboard connected via DirecQuery and the tiles won't refresh unless the button 'Refresh Dashboard Tiles' is pressed. Even refreshing the webpage (F5) doesn't refresh tiles.

Is this an expected behavior or an issue? 

Cheers,

Anton

@Anonymous There will be a delay (15 -30 minutes) if it is beyond that, then it is an issue. But dashboards refresh on their own schedule regardless of connection type.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer,

Thanks for the reply. I would imagine that a page refresh (F5) should refresh tile regardless of automatic refreshes. But like I mentioned in my last comment it's not the case.  
Do you have any suggestions on how can I make real 'Live' dashboard? 

Thanks

@Anonymous If you want to stick to dashboard tiles, then there is no "live" mode unless you are streaming data. You can pin a live page, which when the user interacts will show the latest if using Direct Query. It is interesting that the F5 doesn't work...

What is the end goal? Are you displaying this and you want it to automatically update?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer,

The end goal is to have a dashboard that refreshes immediately displayed on a TV/Screen. We are a food manufacturing company that operates 24/7 and use PowerApps to record data.

For example, I want to be able to see how many pallets have been made (as recorded in PowerApps) on a live basis. I looked into Azure stream analytics and couldn't find a way to connect a PowerApp into it. 

Any thoughts how would this be possible?

Thanks

@Anonymous (High Level Here)

I wondering if you can use the combination of your Power Apps set up with Microsoft Flow. Or use Flow independantly to connect to your dataset and push the stream of info to Power BI. They just released this capability not to long ago to create a streaming dataset to tiles... see here

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Seth_C_Bauer. Will give it a shot and let you know. Cheers

When we pin the Live report to dashboard it appears very small in mobile app. This solution does not work for mobile app. Any solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am finding this issue as well and do not see a solution. Can anyone offer any help? I have a very unforgiving group of managers who will likely throw a fit when they realize the data may not have refreshed. 

Please help!

Hi - After some digging the solution is very simple.  You have to refresh your dataset for the tiles to update.  Go to the relevant Dataset, hit the ... hit refresh and wait for this to take place.  Just to be clear - even if your tile displays a measure which is the current date and time it won't refresh unless the dataset is refreshed.  Please like this or whatever needs to happen as it's apparent from the thread that people haven't quite got this one.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry but, I am not sure this is the answer. I tries a manual refresh and no luck. 

It is also worth noting that I have a scheduled refresh set up. Maybe this is the issue? Not sure. I really wish someone from the Power BI team could help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I opened a support ticket and recieved a call back from a "support technician" with whom I relayed the problem. He did mention in the beginning of the call that there is a known issue regarding refreshing dashboards and that information has been passed to the Power BI development team. No further details were given.  He attempted to trouble shoot my problem but was unsuccesful but, I am not surprised as this is a "known issue". 

Either way, he had created a new ticket to assumedly escalate the situation. I will report back a solution if I get one.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Support ticket with Microsoft vanished into the ether...

I received a phone call back from one gentleman asking if I received a call from Microsoft Power BI team yet and I told him no. He had nothing additional to offer, sadly. 

This morning, after rebuilding my dashboards over the weekend, I came in to find the dashboards and data sets not matching again. This is very frustrating and I am unsure of how to continue using this service! 

Does anyone have any suggestions of where I should start looking?

- 4 Datasets - On Prem Gateway Refresh scheduled for 4 times a day. 

- 2 Dashboards linked to said data sets. 

- No fancy DAX or anything. Just standard visualizations. 

What am I doing wrong?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors