Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

marcelammelo
Helper I
Helper I

Dashboard tiles don't uptade on change of month

Hi, everyone!

Since I have started to use Power BI, I have a hard issue to fix.

On change of month, on my dashboards, the tiles are not refreshed to data of new month.

For example:

We are in September; my dashboards show data of August. In August, they showed data of July... and go on. I must to pin each tile again.

I have already tried to refresh the tiles in appropriate option to do it. But, it is always unsuccessful.

Sem título.png

Is there anybody to help me?

Best regards,

Marcela.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@marcelammelo,

Hi Marcela.

We can talk about this from two aspects.

1. The tiles in the Dashboard are snapshots of special visuals in special status. For example, a tile of the total sum of all years and months. Unless the source data is changed, such as new data added, the tile wouldn't change. You changed the report, but the source data wasn't changed.

2. If you want the changes happened in the report to be applied in the Dashboard, there is certainly a way that is pinning the whole report as a live page.

Dashboard tiles don't uptade on change of month.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Marcela,

Could you please mark the proper answer as solution or share the solution if it's convenient for you? That will be a big help to the others.

Best Regards!
Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello, Dale!

I'm still working on that, that's why I haven't answered yet.

Thanks a lot!

Marcela.

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

@marcelammelo

Hi Marcela,

Did you set the "Scheduled Refresh"? Or refresh the dataset manually? Refresh tiles of the Dashboard won't lead the refresh of the dataset. If no "Scheduled refresh" or manually refresh applied, the dashboard would be out of date. Please check it out.

Best Regards!

Dale

Hello, Dale!

Yes, I did! There is a schedule set for dataset. Look at it:

Capturar.PNG

Best regards,

Marcela. 

@marcelammelo,

Hi Marcela.

My dashboard works normally. So let's do some troubleshooting.

1. How did you find out the visuals showed the data of last month?

2. Which visuals?

3. Try to debug: refresh the report and make sure that the report is updated. Then go to dashboard, refresh the tiles. See what will happen.

Best Regards!

Dale

Hi, Dale.

Here are the answers:

1. I matched the data from last month and the data on dashboard. They are the same, so I realized that dashboard is showing data of last month.

2. They are simple visuals: cards and one only KPI. Look:

Capturar_PowerBI.PNG

3. I've just finished to refresh the following dataset and the report was uptaded successful. I tried to refresh tiles, but again, dashboard didn't refresh.

Capturar_PowerBI_2.PNG

Look the following situation:

• After refresh, I went up to dashboard and the numbers were corresponding August values. I also checked values from report.

Dashboard valuesDashboard values

Report values from AugustReport values from August

When I selected September on report, the card value got changed. 

Report values from SeptemberReport values from September

Did you see? Even I refresh tiles, they keep August data. Only I pin them again, they show September data.

Capturar_PowerBI_6.PNG 

Best regards,

Marcela.

@marcelammelo,

Hi Marcela.

This is a feature of the tiles. Reference:powerbi-service-dashboard-tiles.

>>>A tile is a snapshot of your data, pinned to the dashboard.

You had applied filters on the visual before you pinned it to the dashboard. So it won't change unless the source of the special month changed. 

This is a good feature I think. You can get the results of every month from a single report. 

If you want the visual change dynamically, please clear the filters before pinning them.Dashboard tiles don't uptade on change of month.jpg

As you can see from the picture, I have three tiles from a single report.

Best Regards!

Dale

Hi, Dale!

That was a good explain, but I'm not able to do what you said yet.
I cleaned all filters and saved the report. Then, I refreshed the dataset which they belong. After, I pinned a new tile and the value showed was, of course, the total sum of all years and months. I changed the report again, applied filters one more time and saved it. I came back to dashboard and there weren't any changes on tiles recently pinned.

Could you see any mistake on that process?

Best regards,

Marcela.

@marcelammelo,

Hi Marcela.

We can talk about this from two aspects.

1. The tiles in the Dashboard are snapshots of special visuals in special status. For example, a tile of the total sum of all years and months. Unless the source data is changed, such as new data added, the tile wouldn't change. You changed the report, but the source data wasn't changed.

2. If you want the changes happened in the report to be applied in the Dashboard, there is certainly a way that is pinning the whole report as a live page.

Dashboard tiles don't uptade on change of month.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Hi, all!

I really tried to find a better solution, but, as Dale said, the "tiles are snapshots of special visuals in special status".  So, I just can do DAX measures and pin them to dashboard and it works fine. Although I wanted something easier like the dashboard "follows" my report filters, there are no options. "Pin live page" is not so useful to me.

Thanks for all support, Dale!

Best regards,

Marcela.

Hello @marcelammelo

I am interested in your solution, how do you get a self-updating dashboard tile, each month, with a DAX measure ?

How does the DAX measure update automatically for each month ?

Thank you Smiley Happy

Hi @Benoit_L!

You can do measures which you set a condition that gets the current month, for example. This will work if your main table be connected to date dimension or once you have a date in your main table.

Example:

Amount Collected In Current Month = CALCULATE(SUM(Billing[Amount]);YEAR(TODAY()) = YEAR(Billing[Date]) && MONTH(TODAY()) = MONTH(Billing[Date]))

Got it?

Best regards,

Marcela.

Yes got it ! Using the TODAY() function to compare to my date

Thank you @marcelammelo

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors