Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sc4ry
Helper I
Helper I

Dashboard tiles do not update

Hey,

as mentioned in the title, my pinned dashboard tiles do not update. The reports below are showing the latest data but the pinned tiles do not refresh and stay with the data when they were created.

In general I have one big Power BI-datasource where I have connected several data to, mainly csv-files. This datasource is connected to different reports where I created the user-reports including visuals. Both are published to the same workspace and from this user-reports I created some dashboard-tiles.

The refresh is done manually, as I download the new csv-files, update to datasource and pusblish to workspace, refresh user-reports and publish to workspace and last but not least update the app.

Any suggestions I can do to not pin all tiles each month again?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sc4ry
Helper I
Helper I

Dear both,

thanks for your help, the 1st solution sounds quite difficult to and for me, as I am not that advanced in Power BI 😉

The live-page is quite simple but collides with my appearance.

Maybe it was already clear to you, but I "edit" the report in Power BI service and then use "Pin visual" to pin it to a dashboard. This works for some visuals (bar- or line-chart) but obviously not for all. There is one interesting thing which I found out while opening the pinned dashboard-tile in focus-mode. There are multiple filters set to this tile also the visual uses only 1 field. When I remove these filters, the tile will update to what is expected. I cannot save these changes but again pin this new visual. This seems to work (for now) and I will keep an eye in the future. 

Maybe even this hint/hack does help anybody else?!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
sc4ry
Helper I
Helper I

Dear both,

thanks for your help, the 1st solution sounds quite difficult to and for me, as I am not that advanced in Power BI 😉

The live-page is quite simple but collides with my appearance.

Maybe it was already clear to you, but I "edit" the report in Power BI service and then use "Pin visual" to pin it to a dashboard. This works for some visuals (bar- or line-chart) but obviously not for all. There is one interesting thing which I found out while opening the pinned dashboard-tile in focus-mode. There are multiple filters set to this tile also the visual uses only 1 field. When I remove these filters, the tile will update to what is expected. I cannot save these changes but again pin this new visual. This seems to work (for now) and I will keep an eye in the future. 

Maybe even this hint/hack does help anybody else?!

If that works for you that is awesome!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@sc4ry 

In Power BI Service,  tiles are the snapshot of your data, if original visualization used to create the tile changes, the tile doesn't change. After you republished the report, the change of report will not reflect to the dashboard tile. Please see: Dashboard tiles in Power BI.

To work around the issue, I would recommend you create a report with required visuals in one report page, and republish to service. Then "Pin a live page" to a dashboard, this feature allows changes to reports to appear in the dashboard tile when the report page is refreshed. Please refer: Pin an entire report page, as a live tile, to a Power BI dashboard.

Best Regards,
Paul Zheng

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

What you would need to do is to create a column in your date table which you would use to filter your dashboard tiles.

For example you would want to always have the current months data. In the date table you can create a new column which will have the details of "Current Month" and each time the date table is refreshed it will keep this in sync.

Then on your dashboard tiles you filter the visuals to use the filter from your date table with "Current Month"

That will allow your tiles to always keep to the current month and because you do not have to change the filter.

You can get my date table here, which has details on how to create the date table and the associated PBIX in the blog post already has a column called [Current Month]

https://www.fourmoo.com/2016/09/13/power-bi-how-to-easily-create-dynamic-date-tabledimension-with-fi...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors