Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dashboard tiles auto refresh

Good evening, I would appreciate advice on best practice for creating dashboard tiles that refresh when the underlying dataset is refreshed.

I need to create tiles for current month and previous month which automatically roll over every new month.

Many thanks

Karen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It is often easier to do those same steps in the Query Editor using the GUI.

Also remember that all the Power BI Servers have their date and time set to UTC, so using TODAY() could result in different dates depending on where you are in the world.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

You could use my blog post below.
The way you solve it, is that you filter your dashboard tile where it = "Current Month" or "Previous Month"
The underlying data will move with the months, which will in turn update your dashboard tiles. But you will not need to update them every month.

https://www.fourmoo.com/2017/02/15/power-bi-getting-your-report-to-always-filter-this-months-data-dy...

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Gilbert!  I have tried something similar but more basic in DAX by adding a column to the date table:

Current Month = SWITCH(TRUE(),
'Date Table'[MonthOfYear] = MONTH(TODAY()) && 'Date Table'[Year] = YEAR(TODAY()) , "Current Month"
)

What would you say are the advantages of doing it your way in the query editor?

It is often easier to do those same steps in the Query Editor using the GUI.

Also remember that all the Power BI Servers have their date and time set to UTC, so using TODAY() could result in different dates depending on where you are in the world.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors