Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

paulwozniak
Helper I
Helper I

Dashboard refresh - show today's data

I have a dashboard based on tiles in a report that has a date slicer. When I pin a visual to a dashboard from this report it freezes at the filter context at the time of the pinning. That makes sense.

However, what is the best way for me to create a report that I can pin visuals from to a dashboard, that will update itself daily after a refresh, but when I click on a visual to go to the report, I can use a date slicer to select the desired time period.

To summarize I'd like:

- A dashboard with visuals that always display today's data

- When I click through on the visuals to go to the report I can select the time period for which I want to look at the data via a slicer

Is this not possible?

6 REPLIES 6
paulwozniak
Helper I
Helper I

I've added a Today column in my Date table which calculates whether the date in that row is today or not. I've then used the Today column as a slicer. It has two values in it, Yes and No. When I select Yes it filters data for today only. It seems to work so far with the visuals in the dashboard after I've pinned them while only having Yes selected in the Today slicer.

Hi @paulwozniak,

Excellent solution! Could you accept your reply as solution to help others who has similar issue easily find the answer and close this thread?Smiley Happy

Regards

I would @v-ljerr-msft, but I think it might not be working as well as I first thought. 

See this post.

SwaroopRoyM
Helper II
Helper II

Hi,

I think for this you can pin the entire page of the report to dashboard using "pin live report" option, create links on the individual visuals in the dashboard, that should serve your purpose.

Thanks,

Swaroop

Did you try my suggestion, if that works?

Thanks,

Swaroop

There's no way to do this with visuals? I like how neatly they can be laid out.

I was thinking that maybe there's a type of filter that can be applied by a slicer that toggles TODAY on and off. So in the report, at the time of pinning I'd have this filter applied such that only TODAY values are dislayed. But when I go into the report from the dashboard, I can toggle this filter off.

I just don't know how to do this although it seems possible. Any ideas?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors