Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dashboard live - tiles doesn't update automatically

Hello to everybody ,

I have the following issue . I have create a live dashboards which contains both tiles and a a pinned visual from report with historical data .

The pinned visual is updated automatically . On the other hands the tiles doesn't . If i interact with the page in anyway ( refresh , open focus mode) the data get refreshed . 

Any idea? 

Kind Regards , 

Giannis 

8 REPLIES 8
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to the official document,Power BI maintains a cache for every tile visual on your dashboards and proactively updates the tile caches when data changes. In other words, tile refresh happens automatically following a data refresh. 

You can also force a tile refresh by selecting More options (...) in the upper right of a dashboard and selecting Refresh dashboard tiles.

In addition, Pin live page enables changes to reports to appear in the dashboard tile when the page is refreshed.

Refer to :

Updating dashboard tiles - Online Service - Enterprise DNA Forum

Last Refresh Option for a tile in a Power BI Dashboard - YouTube

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear @v-eqin-msft 

Maybe i didnt explain it correctly but i think we are talking about complety different things. 

I read all your references and you are talking about dashboard and refresh in general . 

My issue is related to streaming dataset .

Based on the official document :

Real-time streaming in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

1. Power BI REST APIs can be used to create and send data to push datasets and to streaming datasets. 
  2. Once a report is created using the push dataset, any of its visuals can be pinned to a dashboard. On that dashboard, visuals update in real-time whenever the data is updated.
  3. The only way to visualize a streaming dataset is to add a tile and use the streaming dataset as a custom streaming data source. The custom streaming tiles that are based on a streaming dataset are optimized for quickly displaying real-time data.

So if i create a dashboard an use either the tiles or pin a visual from the same datasource  everything works fine. 

If i combine on the same dashboard using the same & single datasource (with historic data analysis enable) tiles & visual then only the visual get refreshed.

So is there an issue , i am doing something wrong or there are limitations that are not described on the official document??

Thank u

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I see, you have a mix of tiles from streaming datasets and from regular datasets. I assume the regular datasets are in import mode?

Anonymous
Not applicable

No,  all tiles are using the same streaming dataset . When creating a streaming dataset if you enable the historic data it gives you the option beyound the dashboard  to create report and if you want pin visuals from there .

There is no option import or direct query , i suppose it;s just streaming . 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I am still not clear what you are doing. As I understand it you create a tile by pinning a visual (or a report page). Maybe you can show a snapshot of what you mean by "native choice" ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

By tiles i mean the 3 ones on the upper side . I create them by add tile and select the streaming dataset .

itrichas_1-1614591648853.png

If i keep only them they works fine. 

Then i am going back to the report i create from the streaming dataset i choose one visual and pin it to the same dashboard . 

And from there one the autorefresh for the tiles stops working . 

The pinned visual is working fine . 

itrichas_0-1614591365453.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have create a streaming dataset (api connector) with the historic data analysis enable . 

On top of that i have build a report & a dashboard. 

The dashboard contains tiles & a pinned visual from the relative report ( i also tried report page) . 

Everything on the dashboard is feed by the same source. 

If i keep only the tiles or the pinned visual it works fine. 

If i combine both then only the visual get refreshed automatically . The tiles are refreshed only if i interact with them ( either refresh  or focus mode ) . 

By tiles i mean the native choice that dashboard gives . 

Thank u 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

needs more detail. What is feeding the tiles?  Other report visuals?  Report pages?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors