Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mbegg
Helper II
Helper II

Dashboard last refresh date shows in US format for users

Hi, 

I am based in Australia. I have built a dashboard and added the last refresh time. For me, it displays in the right format (DD/MM/YYYY). 

For users of the dashboard, who are also in Australia, it shows up in US format (MM/DD/YYYY). 

Anyone else noticed this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I mean Browser Setting.

for Google Crome 

1>go to setting

2>Advanced

3>Language

4>Add language 

5>select You Want(eg. English (Australia))

6>Restart your Browser.

*It should Help*

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

It will be great to have an option to set the report date format that is independent of the browser language.

The report date format can reasonably just follow the date format of the report orginator.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK I've tried all of these settings and no luck so far Dashboard refresh date is still us M/DD/YY not DD/MM/YY. The IE setting now takes you directly to the Windows systems date/time settings thankfully

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there, do you have an example of where it is showing the difference?

Is it on the Tile after you selected the "Display last refresh time" or from a visual that you have pinned to a dashboard?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ

I have pinned a live page to a dahsboard, then selected display last refresh time within tile details

See attached photosMy viewMy view

User viewUser view

Display last refresh time.JPG

*Try This*

The User can change the time format setting in their browsers.

@Ashi

Do you mean a Power BI setting or a browser (e.g. Chrome) setting? If browser, do you know how I would change it within Chrome? 

I don't believe I have made any changes to my settings for the date to appear in Aus/UK format. 

I mean Browser Setting.

for Google Crome 

1>go to setting

2>Advanced

3>Language

4>Add language 

5>select You Want(eg. English (Australia))

6>Restart your Browser.

*It should Help*

Adding English (Australia) to Chrome Langugages and making it the default Language DID NOT resolve this issue for me. Refreshed Date is still showing in US format. See example below:

Hi there

Did you make the change via IE?

Power BI Blog

It was changed in Chrome as I am using Chrome.

If you can please look above, even though it is in Chrome the Windows PC still gets that from IE

Power BI Blog

In IE it was already setup as English (Australia).

Hi there

The only other thing I can think of is if the locale was set at the time the PBIX file was created?

Power BI Blog

I'm fairly confident that when it comes to Dashboards, date formats have been hardcoded to US standards.

Whatever locale could have been set during initial creation, would have been en-AU. 

The regional settings in Power BI Desktop were already set to English (Australia).

The other thing i noticed with the last refresh time option on dashboard times is that it shows the time in UTC format. Seeing that these tiles are designed to be for the end user, this is not very useful.

I think i will abandon Dashboards altogether and build everything as report pages.

Whilst it does appear that the dates are for the USA Locale, for my dashboards the last refreshed time is correct to my timezone.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

A Solution that worked for me that I want to share on this thread.

I solved this by installing my local language pack English (United Kindgdom) into Windows Display language area of Windows 10 which then took me to the Microsoft Store to download the UK language pack which I had to find manually, but the direct link on the store is here 

Steps to change it:

1) Windows key on Win10

2) Type Language into the search box

3) See the Windows Display Language drop down at the top of the screen, mine was set to English (United States )

4) Click the Add a Windows display language from the Microsoft Store

5) Find the language for your locale from all the langua

6) Click the Get button, it will download and install and you don't need locall admin rights on the PC

7) Logout of Windows 10, and Log back in 

😎PowerBI date refreshes now show in the right date format  

I suspect lots of other Microsoft services use this very buried setting for their local language and regional settings as well.

Cheers ScottJackson_UK

I've also been wrestling with this issue on and off also - finally just fixed it.

If only there was some clear documentation from the Microsoft devs, instead of leaving the community to waste our time fumbling around ...

On my machine Windows only has English (Australia) as a language, so all of the solutions involving changing the Windows language did not seem relevant.

I'm using the Chrome browser for Power BI - not a Chrome fanboy generally, but it seems the most reliable for Power BI IMO.

So the solution in my case was fixing the Chrome language settings as shown:

Chrome language AU.png

I previously had the row showing just "English" set to display the Google Chrome UI.  I don't recall that "English" entry ever being present previously - perhaps it's something a recent Chrome update has introduced.

HTH

@Ashi Thanks that worked. I think it is strange that the Browser can have a different setting to rest of the computer, but that's just me 🙂

Hi @mbegg

I am certain that you can change the settings in Internet Explorer, which is different from your PC locale.

If you go into your IE options then click on Languages and set the preference there.Email Pic.png

Power BI Blog

Hi,

Just want to check if i have multiple users ,is there any way if i update everyone can see same formart ?

Thanks,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors