Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jcgunawan
Regular Visitor

Dashboard incoporating SQL Direct Query is having issues sharing/showing to audience

Hi everyone!

I've been reading around for similar issues and I have been able to pick up bits and pieces. However, nothing has worked so far.

I have a dashboard I am trying to share to team members that incoporates a SQL Direct Query connection to a sql db. Whenever someone views the dashboard/report, an error appears saying "Can't display the visual". I've tried adding a builder's permission (so made targeted viewers as contributor roles) but nothing has changed. On further investigation of the dataset, it is giving out an error that one or more cloud data sources has been deleted and that I needed a gateway connection. I've installed a personal gateaway connection but running into an issue in applying it. Any help would be much appreicated!

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You're on the right track. If that is an on-premise data source then any Direct Query action initiated by the users needs to go through a gateway.  You may not want to use a personal gateway as that requires your PC to be running at all times.  Better set up a standard/enterprise gateway  (even better, one with multiple cluster members) on VMs in your on-prem cloud.  Then connect your dataset to the gateway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors