Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nunnc01
Helper I
Helper I

Dashboard Tiles with conditional formatting

Hi,

Can anybody suggest a way in which I can display a tile on a dashboard which shows a conditional background colour? At the moment I have card visuals in my PBIX with conditional formatting to show the background colour as either Red, Amber or Green (depending on the result) but when I show this on the dashboard the background colour shows as white which is really unhelpful.

Are there are workarounds for this?

Thanks

Chris

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

There is a workaround but you won't like it.  Instead of pinning a visual to a tile you can pin the entire page to a tile.

Create a small-ish page that has your visual, and a page background color controlled by your condition, and then pin that page to the tile.

Not actually sure if this works - maybe there's a bug in the mix here too?

View solution in original post

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nunnc01 

I have a test build a card visual and pin it to my dashboard. 

It will show white background instead of color in Rule. 

It seems that card tile won't show any other background color except white.

1.png

I found that if we open this card tile in focus mode, it will show backgrond color.

2.png

If you want to show dynamic background color by conditional formatting, you may need to use filter or slicer.

However we couldn't pin slicer into dashboard and tiles cannot interact with each other in dashboard.

In addition to  

Tile background colour

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
JFAR49ER
Frequent Visitor

The only option I have found so far is to use the table visual for a measure ( which will only show your one value) and then do conditional formatting on the cell background. You can then pin this to a dashboard. It doesn't look as nice as a card visual with conditional formatting but it at least allows you to show RAG status on a dashboard. 

JFAR49ER_0-1673344346381.png

vishp100

This solution of pinning the whole report to dashboard doesn't work.

The whole point of pinning tile to dashboard, in our case is to alert the Production Workers that something is seriously wrong in a live dashboard that is updated via Streaming "Push Dataset"

So, the line workers need to see glaring RED when a dashboard number goes below a certain threshold. Please upvote this feature request. https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=f4c224ae-070f-456b-9c9e-4389ce17675b

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is sad that, Power BI is not that great flexible with formatting on dashboard utility.. All exists within Report only and not on Dashboard. Hopefully things are coming in radar very soon! 

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nunnc01 

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution. More people will benefit from it. Or you are still confused about it, please provide me with more details about your problem.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nunnc01 

I have a test build a card visual and pin it to my dashboard. 

It will show white background instead of color in Rule. 

It seems that card tile won't show any other background color except white.

1.png

I found that if we open this card tile in focus mode, it will show backgrond color.

2.png

If you want to show dynamic background color by conditional formatting, you may need to use filter or slicer.

However we couldn't pin slicer into dashboard and tiles cannot interact with each other in dashboard.

In addition to  

Tile background colour

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

There is a workaround but you won't like it.  Instead of pinning a visual to a tile you can pin the entire page to a tile.

Create a small-ish page that has your visual, and a page background color controlled by your condition, and then pin that page to the tile.

Not actually sure if this works - maybe there's a bug in the mix here too?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors