Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Jaf017
Helper I
Helper I

Dashboard Tiles Not Refreshing With Underlying Dataset

My team has 50+ reports under a single workspace. We have 6 separate operating regions, that need to see only their portions of the visuals in the reports. 

If we pin a visual that's filtered on the page level as that region only then the data refreshes the next day, the visual will not change with the updated data behind it. Once the users go to the report the data is up to date.

Our understanding is that a dashboard should be used as a space in which users can quickly see the areas they need to direct resources to. If the dashboard tiles don't update with the data each day, but just stay static, there is no purpose for one. 

Also the alert feature allows for automatic notifications to occur when conditions are met on underlying data of a tile. So if its possible for Power BI to make decisions on the tile level based on the report level data, why not have the tile represent that data?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes it would appear that if you pin it with a slicer attached it might not refresh.

I always pin the reports to a dashboard after interacting with the report and having it to display what I require on the dashboard.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

I have never had any issues with tiles refreshing in a dashboard.

Could it possibly be a issue with the browser that is being used?
If you could try on another PC or another browser and see if the same issue occurs?

Power BI Blog

My end users have checked the tiles in multiple browsers (Chrome, Edge, Firefox). The live pinned page is representative of the refreshed data. But the pinned visual is not. I've attached pictures below. The report level is showing the correct visual. The Pinned live page is showing correctly at 80.74%, and the pinned visual tile is showing the original 80.81%.

LIVE PINNED PAGELIVE PINNED PAGEPINNED VISUAL ONLYPINNED VISUAL ONLYVISUAL IN REPORTVISUAL IN REPORT

Hi there

have you tried to just pin the visual to a dashboard instead of the entire page?

Power BI Blog

Yes as you can see above the pinned visual does not work as intended. No refreshing.

The pinned page does refresh but is small and hard to see when scaled down.

I want my pinned visuals to refresh with the datasets that support the reports that the visuals originally reside in.

That should work when pinning from a report page.

My dashboard visuals refresh on a daily basis

Power BI Blog

I have tried all these options but I still have the same problem.

My report is up to date, but my dashboard tiles are not.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wimsangers  do you get a resolution for this issue, I'm having the same issue, any suggestions?

@Anonymous  It had something to do with the filtering in my report. I do not experience this problem anymore.

My suggestion is to check your filters on your report.

@wimsangers 

I've noticed now that the pinned visuals must have the filters applied on the visual... Rather than have a slicer affecting the visual, the filter needs to be tied directly to it. If this is done then my tiles refresh. 

Not an optimal process, but seems as if its intended from Microsoft.

Yes it would appear that if you pin it with a slicer attached it might not refresh.

I always pin the reports to a dashboard after interacting with the report and having it to display what I require on the dashboard.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors