Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gooranga1
Power Participant
Power Participant

Dashboard Refresh

We have just started to use power BI to great interest at our business.

One of the big questions I am bing asked is that people want to display dashboards on unattended screens, either smart TV's or via chromeboxes. And it seems like an easy thing to set up.

One issue has cropped up. We can refresh our data sources fine. I currently use personal gateway for this as we are still in a testing phase but we will st up an enterprise gateway.

The issue is that even after a dataset refreshes the browser still requires a manual intervention to either press f5 / log out and back in / hit the refresh button in power bi. Which makes it tricky  if we are displaying on unattended monitors. Is there anyway around this so that we can somehow auto refresh the screen?

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I confirmed that there does not appear to be a meta refresh tag on dashboards in Power BI. There are tools (browser add-ons) that you can download and install:

http://download.cnet.com/AutoRefresher-for-IE/3000-12512_4-10062693.html

here is another:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Other-Internet-Related/Auto-IE-Refresher.shtml

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi Thanks for the response.

I have looked at auto refreshers for both Chrome and Google which would work to refresh the screen but they all would knock the dashboard out of Full Screen Mode each refresh so would lose that nice clean look. 😞

It would be nice if this was on a "future developments" list as this tool seems to lend itself so well to this kind of unattended use.

Added it as an idea, go vote for it!!

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/13520691-meta-refresh-tag

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors