Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

emholl
Employee
Employee

Dashboard Publishing between Workspaces

My customer is using 3 separate workspaces to release PBI reports to their enterprise: dev, QA, and prod. The development team has access to all three workspaces, but users will only have access to production. Essentially, they don't want to have to recreate a dashboard between every single environment for every testing period, but since dashboards are only created on the web, I'm not sure of a work around. Content packs may be an option, but I'm still not familiar enough with them to recommend. Any type of recommendation here is greatly appreciated!

6 REPLIES 6
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@emholl Look at this post and my reply. That will give you few options for power bi sharing and promotion model.

Ankit, can you provide a link to the post you are referencing? I couldn't find anything related in your feed?

v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi emholl,

In addition to content packs, there are also other available ways to share a dashboard.

Check the article below:

How should I share Power BI dashboards and reports?

Instead of creating abother dashboard, we could just share the dashboard from Dev workspace to the other two workspaces.

If any further help needed, please post back.

Regards

I am thinking this as a whole set (Dashboard , report/s & datasets) as part of artifacts to a project or application. Now the ask is how you promote these artifacts between workspace where workspaces reflect environments(dev/QA/PROD). The cross sharing won't work as the datasource behind that dashboard or report is corresponding to a environment it reflect DEV/QA/ PROD. You would be contaminating it. The best would be if you can promote these artifacts as a set from workspace to workspace followed by update to the connection string would be ideal. Now first SaaS offering shouldn't be handled like traditional onprem stuff. We should get away with 3 or 4 environment and have only 2 PreProd & Prod and start leveraging Power App. Here's the idea i am pitching. The developers created a workspace for a project and do all the work (this will act as a dev environment). Once finished he/she publish that to a workspace pre prod and publish that app giving only a group access to this app(Tester/UAT). Once its QA certified he republish that PBIX to a PROD workspace and create an App on top of it to publish to Organization. Just like Phone apps they will get updates automatically based changes developers push. Thanks

We have the similar requirement. We built an App Insights dashboards using online service. How can we deploy the same in higher environments?

We have the similar requirement. How can I share/deploy dashboard between the environments?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors