Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cmn
Helper III
Helper III

Dashboard Filter & Slicer values are removed when report is open

I have a report that has a 'Country' slicer.  I would like to be able to create a seperate dashboard for each country.  I have tried to do this by selecting a country on the slicer and then pinning the report to the dashboard.  This works in that the dashboard displays the filtered data for that country, but when I click on the tile and open the report, the slicer value is removed, it it shows data for all countries.  

I have tried to do the same thing with page and report filters, but it does the same thing.

I know that when I set the slicer value in Power BI Desktop and then publish the report, it remembers the slicer, but to do this I would need to create a seperate copy of the report for each country, which I do not want to do.

Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4

This won't help you today, but ere is a request to add URL parameters to the service. This would mean hat you could either give different people different URLs to see a different view of the same dashboard/report, or alternatively you could build some sort of custom link table to load what you need. 

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/6887060-pass-filters-in-url

i don't know of a better way than copying the report for each country and loading it that way under the current design

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

@MattAllington Thanks for the suggestion, but that doesn't sound appealing to me.  I would much prefer to use standard functionality, rather than telling people to add these URLs to their favourites, or having some custom navigation table (which probably wouldn't on mobile devices).

If anyone else needs this functionality, can you please vote for this Idea:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/6827366-clicking-on-pinned-tiles-...

Thanks.

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that you should ask users to save a URL with there parameters.  What I tried to say was that once this feature is enabled, you can build a table in Power Pivot that contains 1 row for every variant.  Store the variant as a URL in the table.  You can then display the table in a Power BI table on the screen as a URL (possibly with a label to make it clear what it is) and then the users can click on the link for their report.  

I realise it is probably not the end state, but it could be a work around to tie you over

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

@MattAllington It sounds like a clever workaround, however I doubt it will work on the iPhone/Android app.  From my experience the tiles are just images and you cannot interect with them.  I tried something similar for a different issue I was having where I added a textbox widget to a dashboard with a custom link / url that navigated to another dashboard that sat in a group workspace.  This worked fine in the web site, but on iPhone, when click opened/touched the tile, it did not trigger the URL, but simply opened the tile and displayed the text.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors