Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Amelia
Frequent Visitor

Daily email even if the dataset hasn't changed

Hi Guys

Can you set up the subscri[ptions to send out emals everyday even if there is no change in the data after a refresh. Our company would like daily emails to be sent out either way.

8 REPLIES 8
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Amelia,

Have you resolved your issue? If you have, welcome to share your solution or mark the right reply as answer. More people will benefit from here.

Thanks,
Angelia

sumit4732
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi @Amelia,

There is a work around to it.

Please refer to the below steps for that:

1. Create a measure for CurrentDate in your PowerBI report using function Today().

CurrentDate = Today()

2. Create another function to calculate the data available through, you can use data available from your source or use MAX() for the date/month column you have.

3. Now Create a measure which returns difference between the two dates.

dataLag = DATEDIFFMAX( 'Scale data'[Fiscal Month] ) , [CurrentDate] , SECOND)

Now you pin this dataLag to your dashboard and set Alert for value above zero. 
This will trigger the email notification every time your refresh the report, given you have at least one-second difference between last data refresh of the source and refreshing the report.

Hope this helps. 🙂 

-Sumit 

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Amelia,

As the @GilbertQ said, the email subscriptions only work after the data has been changed. There is feature request here, you can vote it. If more people need it, it will be considered in the future.

Best Regards,
Angelia

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Amelia

Currently the way the email subscriptions work, is only after the data has been changed.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-subscribe-to-report/

What you could possibly do, is to have the dashboard being refreshed and have say the Last Refreshed Date in your report, but it is in an area, and the text colour is set to white, so it is not visible, but that should then change on the data refresh via the On-Premise or Personal Gateway, which in turn will then send out the email?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ

im confused how would havig a last refreshed dat in the report help? 

Hi @Amelia

By having something change within your dataset, it will then enable the Daily Email to be actioned and emailed.

Power BI Blog

Ah ok, so dose it have to be somthing thats on the report? or just in the dataset?

thanks @GilbertQ

Hi @Amelia

I think that just having it in the dataset should do the job.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors