Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

CSun
Frequent Visitor

DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_CancellationOrTimeoutError

I have an Azure tabular model, which pulls data from a 15GB onprem database, thru a gateway. I setup Azure functions using this article. I have tried processign the tabular model via Visual Studio and SSMS adn Azure functions and it consistantly fails with the below error message. When I process the tables just by itself, it some times works not always. Does anyone know why am i receiveing this error? And what steps should i take to process the tabular model successfully everytime?

exception: Microsoft.AnalysisServices.OperationException: Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'An error occurred during On-Premise Gateway related activity. Additional error details: DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_CancellationOrTimeoutError

Task is timeouted with System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException: A task was canceled.

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.Common.TDFHelpers.<>c__DisplayClass7_0`1.<<GetNextResponse>b__0>d.MoveNext()

--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.Common.TDFHelpers.<>c__DisplayClass10_0.<<ExecuteBlockOperation>b__0>d.MoveNext()

A task was canceled.

Technical Details:

RootActivityId: f80bc321-8da5-4ea8-920f-5e46eeaa39f3

Date (UTC): 7/2/2017 9:43:37 PM

'.

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Tabular.Model.SaveChanges(SaveOptions saveOptions)

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Tabular.Model.SaveChanges(SaveFlags saveFlags)

at Submission#0.Run(TimerInfo myTimer, TraceWriter log) in :line 30

2017-07-02T21:43:37.442 C# Timer trigger function finished at: 7/2/2017 9:43:37 PM

2017-07-02T21:43:37.442 Function completed (Success, Id=72160673-d2f6-433b-ba86-ac03b565d643, Duration=3662259ms)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CSun
Frequent Visitor

My latest partition (last month) have data about 5 million. Starting of the month its about 100K but soon it hits 5-6 million

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @CSun

It appears that it is getting a timeout error because it is taking too long to pull all the data from the On-Premise source to Azure.

What I would suggest is if it is an Azure Tabular Model is to set it up with an incremental load. So that you are not pulling in all the data each and every time. Which then will reduce the amount of data that you have to transfer to Azure.

Also if you can ensure that you have the fastest connection with the fewest hops to where you are storing your data in Azure. If possible to even ensure that you are using the closest Azure data center.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

CSun
Frequent Visitor

I have this issue, even when I process a partition with about 5 millin rows. We are in the process of migrating to Azure. in the mean time, is there something i can do?

What I could suggest is to partition your data, so that you are only updating the latest data?

In doing it in this way you can also process your data one partition at a time, which will then mean you can process the data into specific chunks.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

CSun
Frequent Visitor

My latest partition (last month) have data about 5 million. Starting of the month its about 100K but soon it hits 5-6 million

CSun
Frequent Visitor

I have an Azure tabular model, which pulls data from a 15GB onprem database, thru a gateway. I setup Azure functions using this article. I have tried processign the tabular model via Visual Studio and SSMS adn Azure functions and it consistantly fails with the below error message. When I process the tables just by itself, it some times works not always. Does anyone know why am i receiveing this error? And what steps should i take to process the tabular model successfully everytime?

exception: Microsoft.AnalysisServices.OperationException: Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'An error occurred during On-Premise Gateway related activity. Additional error details: DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_CancellationOrTimeoutError

Task is timeouted with System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException: A task was canceled.

at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.Common.TDFHelpers.<>c__DisplayClass7_0`1.<<GetNextResponse>b__0>d.MoveNext()

--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---

at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.Common.TDFHelpers.<>c__DisplayClass10_0.<<ExecuteBlockOperation>b__0>d.MoveNext()

A task was canceled.

Technical Details:

RootActivityId: f80bc321-8da5-4ea8-920f-5e46eeaa39f3

Date (UTC): 7/2/2017 9:43:37 PM

'.

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Tabular.Model.SaveChanges(SaveOptions saveOptions)

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Tabular.Model.SaveChanges(SaveFlags saveFlags)

at Submission#0.Run(TimerInfo myTimer, TraceWriter log) in :line 30

2017-07-02T21:43:37.442 C# Timer trigger function finished at: 7/2/2017 9:43:37 PM

2017-07-02T21:43:37.442 Function completed (Success, Id=72160673-d2f6-433b-ba86-ac03b565d643, Duration=3662259ms)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors