Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PowerBI1387693
Frequent Visitor

DEPLOYING POWER BI in our Organization

Dear Community, I am trying to understand the best way to deploy Power BI in our organization. Below are a few constraints/requirements that I request you to help me with

1-3 Developers & Admins, we dont have Active Directory or any centralized security management in place. potentially 100-200 end users of reports. We are not looking for real time reporting (only daily once refresh). Also we may need to send reports directly to tablets in the future but not important right now.

- We dont have O365 or Azure subscriptions:

Should we get atleast 1 of these accounts to start using Power BI pro?

What  are feature differences between Azure & O365?

if we consider O365, can we get just 1 account for our organization (is 1 account sufficient to create a Tenant?)

Can Modern Pages on Sharepoint be used to deploy reports to the end users?

If I subscribe to 2 Power BI Pro for our organization does one of them need to be set as Admin or should both be managed seperately?

Should I buy as many O365 accounts as I need Power BI Pro licenses?

Can someone with the knowledge help me decide which license would be ideal and whether it makes sense to pick O365 over Azure for our setting?

Thanks!

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there,

When you sign up for Power BI, in the background it creates an Office 365 Tenant, and an Azure Tenant (within here it creates an Azure Active Directory).
All of the above is behind the scenes and does not cost you anything.

Going forward from there for every user you want to Share a dashboard or report with, will require a Power BI Pro License. The same licensing applies if you use SharePoint Online.

In terms of administration, once you have your Power BI Tenant, there are some great resources on how to become the Office 365 Global Admin, after which you or whom ever does it will then be able to buy licenses as required.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

Hi Gilbert 

One final question -

I do not have an O365 account (my organization dosent have O365 or Azure). My question is is it possible for me to buy a PowerBI Pro individual license without an O365 account or Azure subscription?

Hi there,

As far as I know you have to have an O365 subscription to buy a Power BI Pro license.

Power BI Blog

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there,

When you sign up for Power BI, in the background it creates an Office 365 Tenant, and an Azure Tenant (within here it creates an Azure Active Directory).
All of the above is behind the scenes and does not cost you anything.

Going forward from there for every user you want to Share a dashboard or report with, will require a Power BI Pro License. The same licensing applies if you use SharePoint Online.

In terms of administration, once you have your Power BI Tenant, there are some great resources on how to become the Office 365 Global Admin, after which you or whom ever does it will then be able to buy licenses as required.

Power BI Blog

Hi Gilbert

How are you

Thanks for your reply. Just a couple of things in more detail

So if I understand it correctly all I need to do is subscribe for Power BI Pro without any need to subscribe to an O365 or Azure accounts, correct?

Lets say I start with 1 Power BI Pro subscription and then in the future we decide to get a second Subscription then is it possible to manage these 2 accounts wihtout an O365 (global admin) or Azure account? If so how do the 2 accounts interact with each other?

Hi there,

You can and remove licenses, but it is all managed via the Office 365 Admin Centre. So in order to assign licenses to users you have to have a Global Admin for your Office 365 Subscription.

Both the Office 365 Subscription and Power BI all integrate into Azure Active Directory (which happens behind the scenes)

Power BI Blog

Hi Gilbert 

One final question -

I do not have an O365 account (my organization dosent have O365 or Azure). My question is is it possible for me to buy a PowerBI Pro individual license without an O365 account or Azure subscription?

Hi there,

As far as I know you have to have an O365 subscription to buy a Power BI Pro license.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors