Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mda
Advocate I
Advocate I

DAX FORMAT number and locale

I'm formatting numbers with pattern #,##0.

I'm from Poland, but in my report settings, regional settings are set to English (United States).

Also, my browser has set Englis (United States) as my language.

But when I publish the report to service numbers are shown with a dot as thousands separator, but I wanted them to use a comma. So I'm getting "1.000" instead of "1,000".
The same is for people from the United States.

I'm using August 2018 release:

2.61.5192.601 (18.08) (x64)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

I found the reason why it looked like a dot.
The problem was with the Font Family selected for Data label and the height of the Card.
When I changed the font and increased the height everything is OK.

Sorry for incorrect post.

Best regards,
Marcin

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mda,

That's strange. It changes when I change the language of the Service. 

1. How did you do that? With the function "Format"? If so, please check if the format of the column is Number.

2. What's the format of your computer?

3. What did it look like in the Desktop?

Can you share some snapshots?

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft.

ad. 1. Yes, I did it with FORMAT function from DAX. Formatted value is taken from measure not column.
The data type for this measure was Decimal Number, and Format - General, but after a change to Decimal Number, nothing changes.

Also, columns used in the measure had Data type = Decimal Number and Format = General. And also nothing changed after setting format = Decimal Number.

I didn't mention it before, but formatted text with the number is shown using Card visualization.

Normal number values showed in the tooltips of Pie chart, Donut chart and Gauge are showed OK.

I have also tables with formatted numerical values in cells using FORMAT function, and there thousand separator is presented as a comma.

So probably Card visualization is a cause of an error.

2. I'm using Windows 10, but the guy from the US is using MacOS.

3. In the desktop, it looks the same for Card, but for Pie chart, Donut chart and Gauge it uses thousands separator from my Windows settings - in Poland, it is space char instead of a comma.

I've also checked my request which is sent by Chrome and there is this header:

accept-language: en-US,en;q=0.9,pl;q=0.8

And in service English is set as my language.
I have also installed the English version of PowerBI.

The only one thing which is strange is that in my global settings there is not Regional Settings as on screen in this article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/supported-languages-countries-regions

I have only Regional Settings in the current file section.

Hi @mda,

Can you share some snapshots? The "Regional Settings" only exists in the Power BI Desktop (Windows Store version).

DAX_FORMAT_number_and_locale

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

I found the reason why it looked like a dot.
The problem was with the Font Family selected for Data label and the height of the Card.
When I changed the font and increased the height everything is OK.

Sorry for incorrect post.

Best regards,
Marcin

That's great. So glad you solved this issue.

Best Regards,

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors