Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PowerBI-ELM
Helper I
Helper I

Customer requires rapid refresh rate

Hello,

I am developing a set of Power BI reports which can graph certain process KPIs in an industrial situation.  They have a SQL database which collects temperatures, flow rates, preassures and sometimes the values change every few seconds.  They would like to see a report which updates on a short schedule.   (Maybe every minute or in some cases every 30 seconds)

I have been spending the day trying to figure out how to speed up the refresh rate.  I started the report in the Desktop Version and published it to the trial version of the PowerBI service.  When I edit the report I can set the refresh rate to just a few seconds, but it says "Enabled by your admin - Admin interval 30 minutes"   

In the admin portal I can set Premium Per User to a much smaller iterval but I don't know if is doing anything.

Can someone suggest what needs to be done to enable a more rapid refresh rate of the data coming in to the report?

Thanks, 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @PowerBI-ELM 

You would need to use Power BI Premium or Premium Per User with a higher refresh rate.

Here are details on how to achieve this

Automatic page refresh in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

Hariharan_R
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi,

I am sure you are using Direct Query mode option to SQL Server tables. If you do the changes in PPU side to minimum refresh interval then ensure you set the same refresh intervel on the report page setup. Also make sure your workspace is a PPU workspace not Pro workspace.

Test the report in Power BI desktop and make sure you are getting the changes in the report and then publish it to service.

Thanks

Hari

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

My Blog :: YouTube Channel :: My Linkedin

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PowerBI-ELM
Helper I
Helper I

Thanks, 

I wish I could mark two answers as the solution.

Hariharan_R
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi,

I am sure you are using Direct Query mode option to SQL Server tables. If you do the changes in PPU side to minimum refresh interval then ensure you set the same refresh intervel on the report page setup. Also make sure your workspace is a PPU workspace not Pro workspace.

Test the report in Power BI desktop and make sure you are getting the changes in the report and then publish it to service.

Thanks

Hari

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

My Blog :: YouTube Channel :: My Linkedin

Thanks,  I did not know that there were diffrent types of workspaces

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @PowerBI-ELM 

You would need to use Power BI Premium or Premium Per User with a higher refresh rate.

Here are details on how to achieve this

Automatic page refresh in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors