Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

igordossantos
Helper I
Helper I

Custom visuals can not be displayed to other members via organizational content pack

I'm having the same issue as the link below suggests, where users on the organization are not able to see Custom Visuals through reports/dashboards shared via Content Pack. 

I (the creator of the report) am able to see the custom visuals, but some users are not. 

Is this something that has been addressed? I see an architect replying to this post reporting the same issue from 10/2015 which in PowerBI.com terms is a long time ago 🙂 

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/custom-visuals-can-not-be-displayed-to-other-members-via/m...

4 REPLIES 4
greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Custom visuals are not yet functional in content packs from all I've seen. The latest update to custom visuals allowed pinning to dashboards, and before that preserving formatting when saved, if I recall correctly. Also recently, supressing repetition of the custom visual nag-bar.

When shared in a content pack, other users will see an error for that visualization. They can open up the report in the Service report editing experience and add the custom visual there, from which point the visual will work for them. This is not really an acceptable workaround, but it is functional in that case.

Thanks Greg, but the edit/import is not a viable solution for my C-Level users. We will continue to wait for an update/fix on this. 

Thanks for your reply and help. 

I agree completely. It's an interesting insight into the components that aren't working, though. The underlying report is just a document containing the name of the visualization. The visualization clearly lives in the .pbix, but that portion of the .pbix is not replicated in the content pack. For a time there, pinning wasn't functional for custom visuals. It can be uploaded just fine, but the .pbviz component is not shared in the data that is included in the content pack.

Adding the .pbviz makes everything work for a content pack consumer, so the report definition is going through unchanged, it's just the implementation details of the visualization that are left behind.

My guess is that it's some sort of security concern that's slowing down the custom visual feature rollout, rather than issues in sharing assets across a tenant.

Like I said it's not a viable workaround, but it's interesting in what it tells us about the missing pieces.

@greggyb Any ideas on a timeline for this? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors