Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BIfanatic
Resolver I
Resolver I

Custom link to report not working (no permission)

Hi everyone,

Ever since this week I have encountered a problem when publishing a report to the Service. 

When I want to set a custom link from an existing dashboard to a newly published report, the text box becomes unclickable. Although there is a link to the report, the link is not active.

While existing reports do not seem to be having this problem, new reports seem to be influenced by some sort of bug.

Is this a known issue? If so, is there any work-around?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft,

I have found a workaround. When sharing a dashboard, some reports become unclickable. If you then pin the live page of the report to the dashboard and you refresh the dashboard, you see that the live page becomes visible and the tile with the custom link becomes clickable. Just delete the live page and the tile works.

In some way this seems to correct the indiscrepancies between the authorizations for the report and the dashboard.

Hopefully this helps.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@BIfanatic,

Do you add a textbox tile in the existing dashboard and add report link in the tile as below? If so, I am not able to reproduce your issue. Would you please share me your PBIX file via Private Message? I will test it in my environment.

1.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-yuezhe-msft,

Unfortunately I am not allowed to share the file, however I do believe that the problem is not in the .pbix file.

When I upload report X and I add a textbox tile in dashboard Y, which already existed, I then link from this tile to the report (sorry, it is in Dutch):

Example report sharing.JPG

The tile however, becomes unclickable for those with whom the dashboard has been shared. For me, as owner of the dashboard, it works fine.

@BIfanatic,

I can reproduce your issue. I will report this issue internally and post back once I get updates.

Regards,

Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft,

I have found a workaround. When sharing a dashboard, some reports become unclickable. If you then pin the live page of the report to the dashboard and you refresh the dashboard, you see that the live page becomes visible and the tile with the custom link becomes clickable. Just delete the live page and the tile works.

In some way this seems to correct the indiscrepancies between the authorizations for the report and the dashboard.

Hopefully this helps.

Hello @v-yuezhe-msft,

Might this issue be related to the new report-sharing feature?

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/share-reports-with-your-teams-and-partners/

@BIfanatic

I test the issue again today and found that only when the users have access to the underlying report, they can view the report via the custom link in the dashboard. And the issue is not related to that if the report is published recently.

For your existing report, have  you shared the report to users via other methods? For example, share other dashboard that contains the existing report. You can provide the URLs of the existing report and newly published report to your users, and check if they have permissions on the reports.

Regards,
Lydia

@v-yuezhe-msft,

Before the implementation of report sharing, it was a bit harder to manage all the permissions. Hopefully it will work better now that we can share reports as well.

If I encounter another bug, I will report it. For now, I consider this solved.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors