Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SusieBentley
Advocate II
Advocate II

Custom Visuals won't display in Service

Hi all,

I have a report that includes 4 different custom visuals. When I publish this report to the Service, all custom visuals are greyed out and do not render. This can be intermittent, as sometimes they appear in the the workspace but not the published App, and vice versa (and the behaviour can be different for end-users/readers and admins).

The same issue happended intermittently in the .pbix file, but this was resolved by pinning the custom visuals to the main visualisation pane.

For context, the report uses a shared dataset. All reports and datasets are in Premium Capacity workspaces.

Any ideas on how to resolve this? It's quite a blocker!

thanks 

Susie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SusieBentley
Advocate II
Advocate II

So I haven't found the root cause but I have resolved the problem - noting here incase others encounter this in the future!

To restore all custom visuals, I first removed all from the original data set. I then downloaded the custom visual files and imported these into my linked report (that uses the Power BI dataset as the data source) - rather than using AppSource. This resolved the issue and all custom visuals are now stable in the Service.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SusieBentley
Advocate II
Advocate II

So I haven't found the root cause but I have resolved the problem - noting here incase others encounter this in the future!

To restore all custom visuals, I first removed all from the original data set. I then downloaded the custom visual files and imported these into my linked report (that uses the Power BI dataset as the data source) - rather than using AppSource. This resolved the issue and all custom visuals are now stable in the Service.

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

Doublecheck with workspace admin whether they might have restricted to certified visuals only (not all custom visuals are certified) and/or blocked visuals created with the SDK:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/organizational-visuals

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
------------------------------------------------
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

Thanks for your reply, I am the Service Admin - certified visuals only is not a restirction in the Admin portal so this isn't the issue unfortunatley. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors