cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jameslo30 Member

Custom Visuals not working?

Has anyone's custom visuals stopped working / not displaying properly today?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jameslo30 Member

Re: Custom Visuals not working?

Update:

I had to re-do all of my reports from scratch. Custom visuals now work.

I tried to update the Custom Visuals via PowerBI Desktop with a newer version, but this did not resolve the issue. I had to create a blank report and start again.

Ensure you download the latest version of your custom visual. 

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
cmn Member

Yes!  Ours have stopped working last night (around 14 hours ago).  We use 2 types of custom visuals - the Cards With State by SQL BI, and the Linear Gauge.  The cards with state we use as is (out of the box), but we have had to customise the Linear Gauge because it was quite buggy.  Last night, the  Cards With State was OK, but the dial gauge would not render on web or mobile.

We also noticed performance issues - sometimes the dashboard would not display at all on mobile (loading spinner displays forever), and we also noticed that the service just seemed slower.

Now, (the next morning), the custom visuals are working on the web site (although very slow to render), but the mobile app does not display any of our dashboards at all (loading spinner only).

Which custom visual are using?

Is anyone else experincing any problems?

cmn Member

jameslo30 Member

Ah at least it isn't us then!!

We are also using the Cards by State, and also using the "Text Scroll" visual. Still not working today (08.04.16 @ 08:37)

The amount of problems with have with PowerBI is getting unreal. I am seriously concidering dropping it for something else. PowerBI in the cloud is just too unstable and unpredictable. Issues like this crop up and there are no details in the support section of this site indicating a problem / nor on the Office 365 Healthboard.

The visuals work fine in PowerBI Desktop. So I know they are working 100%. It's just the online view that's screwed.

ceortega Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

I having the same issues works completely fine in Desktop but online Power BI it is not workign at all.  

Christopher E. Ortega, MBA
Manager, FP&A
cmn Member

@ceortega@jameslo30, Have a look at this thread - http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/Custom-Visuals-Sandbox-is-coming-Here-s-what-you-need-to-k...

They have rolled out sandboxing of custom visuals, which has caused this problem.  Other than the forum post above, I haven't found any mention of this elsewhere, so it has been handled poorly.  There is not enough information to work out how the custom visuals now need to be designed.  I believe it is only impacting custom visuals developed & deployed outside of the offical gallery.  Any visuals from the gallery are not being sandboxed, so they are not impacted.  What they need to do is take one of the gallery visuals and show us step by step what needs to be done to fix it.  If they want to start with the linear gauge, that would be great!

Jameslo30, I couldn't agree more about the problems lately.  They are driving me insane.

ceortega Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

The link you provided didn't work once I tried to click on it.  

I am still having this issue and can't seem to find any information from Microsoft on how to update these custom visuals.  Anyone else find anything new? 

Christopher E. Ortega, MBA
Manager, FP&A
cmn Member

@ceortega,  sorry the link didn't work.  Try this one:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/Custom-Visuals-Sandbox-is-coming-Here-s-what-you-need-to-k...

Apparently MS are able to reproduce the problem and are working on a fix.  No ETA yet.

wynhopkins Member

None of my visuals are working for users other than me. None are custom visuals

They get this displayed  (while I can still see them in my Workspace)

TILES ISSUE.PNG

wynhopkins Member

It appears to be related to Row Securty for me  (regardless of who is assigned row security) 

As soon as I apply a RLS role no-one can access their dashboards

I had remove RLS (only testing with RLS so no big deal for me at the mo) and un-share and re-share my dashboards for it to start working again