Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Custom Visual with drill support

How can I implement a custom Power BI visualization that supports the new drill down functionality? Specific interfaces/properties/attributes that needs to be supported?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have not tried this in the Playground yet, but numerous charts have drilldown listed in their Capabilities. Try using one of the [x]capabilities.ts files for a template.

For example:

drilldown: {
            roles: ['Category']
        },

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Hi,

I have a data set with two hierarchical columns as REGION and SUB-REGION. A REGION has multiple SUB-REGION'S.

I have dragged both the columns to VISUAL FILTER section in Power BI.

When I select a REGION and then SUB-REGION in the visual filter, I am not getting the selected "SUB-REGION" in the "update" method of Custom Visual.

Is there anyway to get both the REGION and SUB-REGION whenever filter is modified?

Could you help on this. Thanks in advance.

Sandeep

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

If I understand you correctly I don't think there is any way of getting data from more than one drill-down level at a time. You will always get data on the current level only (at least the last time I tried it). This makes is very hard to create custom visuals that display hierarchies using drill-down (such as Pivot Tables or Breakdown Trees). Hopefully this will be supported in the future.

/ Fredrik

Hi Fredrik,

I am new in power bi custom visual development. I want to create a new 'stacked column bar' chart with of support drill down and drill up capabilities. Could you please help me on the how to add the 'drill down' and 'drill up' in custom visuals and if posible give me sample code. it is better to unstand to me. 

Thank you

Kishore Kommi 

Thanks. Could you suggest any reference for adding a field to capabilities with drill down option in custom visual.

Thanks

Sandeep

I have not tried this in the Playground yet, but numerous charts have drilldown listed in their Capabilities. Try using one of the [x]capabilities.ts files for a template.

For example:

drilldown: {
            roles: ['Category']
        },

Hi,  I am trying to do drill down in custom table visual. I followed https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-visuals this documentation but this doesn't help me on drill down. I have different folder structure where i mention capabilities in capabilities.json file. The above solution doesn't work for me, can you please help me with this?

This does not appear to be working for me.  For example, the bulett graph visual supports this and there is a drill down to all children option but the drill down for the sellect item does not work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're right, it's as simple as that. I've tried it in the playground and it works. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors