Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BrianPDX
Frequent Visitor

Custom Report Size to Dashboard

Hi All,

I got this neat idea to build an infographic report with interactive charts. For the report I am using a custom size of 1350 x 2000. The report looks just fine in report view in both the desktop and web app [Image 1] but once I pin the report to a live page [Image 2] I get this scaled down version of my report. This is causing the charts to be extremely small. You can see in the second image that there is a ton of unused white space... No matter how big I make the tile block, the report still stays the same size. Can someone help me get the report scaled to a bigger size or has any recommendations on what I can do?

Capture 1.PNGCapture 2.PNG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@BrianPDX I would just create a quick "pointer" element on the dashboard so the user has to click it to be taken to the report. For example. this could be as simple as creating a text box with "Premanage Report" - pin that to the dashboard, and delete it from the report page. The pinned visual on the dashboard will still take you to the report page.

Or, you could get fancy and do the same with an image or snapshot of the report or an element.

Either way, rather than fight the behavior of dashboard tiles, my suggestion is to just get people to navigate to the actual report as efficiently as possible.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

@BrianPDX I just re-tested this. Place the visual, pin it, save the report.

Re-open report, delete the visual - the tile will still be there.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

@BrianPDX I would just create a quick "pointer" element on the dashboard so the user has to click it to be taken to the report. For example. this could be as simple as creating a text box with "Premanage Report" - pin that to the dashboard, and delete it from the report page. The pinned visual on the dashboard will still take you to the report page.

Or, you could get fancy and do the same with an image or snapshot of the report or an element.

Either way, rather than fight the behavior of dashboard tiles, my suggestion is to just get people to navigate to the actual report as efficiently as possible.

Hey Eno, thanks for the suggestion. I just tried that but once I delete the textbox from the report it asks me if I want to save. If yes then the textbox dissapears from the dashboard. If no then obviously the visual stays both in the report and the dashboard. 

@BrianPDX I just re-tested this. Place the visual, pin it, save the report.

Re-open report, delete the visual - the tile will still be there.

You're right it worked.

For some reason when I create a textbox visual via the web app and delete it, the tile gets deleted. When I made the visual via the desktop, your work around worked just fine. 

I'll go ahead and mark this as "solved" but if anyone has another other suggestions, I'd like to hear them. I'm just trying to make the process as easy as possible for end users (upper management) as they are not tech savvy at all.

Hi Brain,

you got the solution .. ?

am unable to get the point.

could please help me on this.

Thanks & Regards,

vinod

Hi,

This is still an issue. I created a report with two sheets (resolution 1920 x 1080) with a slicer on each sheet (which refers to the same field). The customer wants to use the slicer once, so I put sheet2 under sheet 1, creating a page with a resolution of 1920 x 2160. Now the slicer affects the entire report, letting the customer use it once and scroll through the entire report. When publishing this report, all seems well, untill a pin it as a live page to a dashboard, which results in a page with a white border on both sides:

example.jpg

It looks like Power BI is (in this case) auto-adjusting the width when i pin the page on a dashboard, which seems like a unintentional action to me. Any thoughts on this? The suggested pointer is not really a solution, but rather a workaround.

Hi,

Is there a solution for this?

Thanks,

Dan

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I am seeing this as well, it is weird because the dashboard (I created a new one) seems to be the right size, but all of the charts get squeezed down into a little, centered area.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors