Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tadder
Helper II
Helper II

Custom Column shows on Desktop but not on Service

I have created a custom column [Price Type] using the Custom Column option in Power Query. It's a series of IF statements, and it works 100% in PowerBI Desktop.  However, when I publish to the service, it shows blank...  any suggestions?

= Table.AddColumn(#"Added Prefix", "Price Type", each 
if Text.StartsWith(Text.BetweenDelimiters([price_matrix],"~","~"),"C") = true then "Standard" else
if Text.StartsWith(Text.BetweenDelimiters([price_matrix],"~","~"),"Z") = true then "Strategic" else
if Text.StartsWith(Text.BetweenDelimiters([price_matrix],"~","~"),"T") = true then "Cust Type" else
if Text.StartsWith(Text.BetweenDelimiters([price_matrix],"~","~"),"Q") = true then "Cust Quote" else
if Number.FromText(Text.BetweenDelimiters([price_matrix],"~","~")) = null then "Override" else
if Number.FromText(Text.BetweenDelimiters([price_matrix],"~","~")) = [bill_to_id] then "Cust Contract" else 
if Number.FromText(Text.BetweenDelimiters([price_matrix],"~","~")) = null then "" else "ZZ Contract" )

blank on service.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Tadder,

Please try to refresh the browser or click the Refresh button on report page to see if data is loaded. Also, please try to remove and re-publish this report file to see whether it works.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
KuoTing

Any news on this topic ?   Is data transformation supported on Power BI services ?

Tadder
Helper II
Helper II

Hi @v-yulgu-msft and @GilbertQ, thanks for the responses.  I have refreshed the browser, opened in different browsers, etc.  That doesn't seem to fix it.  Also there are filters applied to the report, but none that would affect this column of data.  My dataset is an Enterprise Gateway (not personal) and it shows no trouble signs.  Refresh is running 2x per day and everything seems normal.

Regarding removing and republishing the dataset - That seems to have fixed it, but is that not what happens when I make changes to the dataset in PowerBI Desktop and then publish it?  I get prompted with a "Are you sure you want to overwrite the existing one?" window when I publish. 

I am a big fan of reusing datasets for several reports, but not being able to update/add to them the way I have been throws a giant wrench in my gitty-up.    Perhaps I am doing it wrong?  Is there a way to have only the dataset maintained in Desktop?  From my experience the only way to publish a dataset is to publish a blank (or not blank) report along with it.  Is there something I'm missing?

Anyway, thanks for the assist!

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Tadder,

Please try to refresh the browser or click the Refresh button on report page to see if data is loaded. Also, please try to remove and re-publish this report file to see whether it works.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Tadder

I know this might be something that you have looked at, but in the Power BI Service are there any filters on the visual, page or report level?

Also is your data connected to an On-Premise or Personal Gateway?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors