Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

icobby
Regular Visitor

Custom Alerts based on Date

Is there a way to set custom alerts on visuals based on Dates? The report I'm working on is designed to show a List of Items, Owners of those Items and Target Dates for tasks. If I were able to set alerts on the visual to notify the specific Owner of each item based on specific dates, it would create an enormous amount of autonomy.

Ex. Using a Table:

10 Tasks

10 Owners

10 Target Dates

Event:

3/10 Target Dates are due at the end of Month 1

7/10 Target Dates are due at the end of Month 9

Desired outcome:

Create Alert on Table Visual to be able to send Notifications to all 10 Owners but only when their respective Target Dates are approaching.

IE-Send Notification to 3/10 Owners with Traget Dates in Month 1, but not to the other 7/10 who do not. Send 7/10 Notifications to Owners with Target Dates in Month 9, but not the 3/10 who do not.

It would also be great to have the ability to set Lead Times on the Alerts so that the Notification would be sent X amount of time before the Target Date, and also a Second Alert. Same idea as on an iPhone with the Calendar notification feature.

7 REPLIES 7

@icobby Currently you are only able to set alerts on cards, KPIs, gauges with numeric values. So while you couldn't directly set an alert on your visual, I am thinking you could do something like.

Create a custom column or measure to calculate the number of days away from your Target date. Then, set the alert so that when it reaches below the number of days out from the target date that you want to notify them it would shoot out the alert.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer I have similar query where my dataset has for example 80 employees with their Contract renewal dates. I have also created a custom column to calculate number of days remaining for the renewal.

My question is can we set an alert when days remaining are less than 180 days for all the employees?

For Example :

EmployeeContract renewal DateDateDiff
XYZ2/18/2018180 Days
ABC1/16/2018149 Days
DEF12/31/2017133 Days

Can I raise alert that ABC requires renewal in 149 Days, DEF requires in 133 days? If yes How?

@adharia A way I see doing this is creating a measure that will return only those values under 180, then choosing the Max of that value. Something like: Measure = CALCULATE(MAX('Table1'[DateDiff]), FILTER('Table1','Table1'[DateDiff]< 180))

Now this won't go employee by employee, but in my mind that wouldn't matter because I'm looking at all employees, so this just returns the closest employee to 180. Then a report can show me the specifics of which employees fall into that bucket and how many days remaining they have.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Brilliant, this worked for me.

@Seth_C_Bauer Thanks for the solution. So there is no chance I can show an alert based on each employee? I will have to create a report showing pool of employees who have renewal date less than 180 days. 

@adharia Not to my knowledge, the visuals that are supported to set up alerts on are single value.

Hi, 

I kind of have the same issue trying to get 2 types of information on one alert (see here), I even posted an idea  but it does not seem to interest anyone.
Hope something will pop up soon.

Best regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors