Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shivar
Helper I
Helper I

Currency Formats not reflecting in power bi service

Hello All,

When i use power bi desktop the currency format is in indian system. This works well with all the visuals created. When the created visuals are published on power bi service the formats changes to us system. The power bi service regional setting is india.

can anyone help me out in this?

Thanks,

Shiva R

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @shivar ,

yes, that also works with Power BI Service. You do all the changes in Power BI Desktop, upload it to the Service and the then it's also in the online report.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @shivar ,

if it doesn't really work with the local settings, you can still think to use the custom format setting:

selimovd_0-1623335337030.png

That's the better option compared to FORMAT function, because FORMAT transforms the measure to a string, so you can only use it in a table/matrix.

And it will always show in the correct way and still stay in decimal format.

If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

@selimovd Thanks Den, But is this solution work well the power bi service as well? Since, there is no feature called properties in power ni service.

Hey @shivar ,

yes, that also works with Power BI Service. You do all the changes in Power BI Desktop, upload it to the Service and the then it's also in the online report.

Best regards
Denis

Hi, I am facing same issue as @shivar mentioned, can you specify your solution step by step. It will help me.
Thanks in Advance.

Hey @abhishekborse06 ,

what exactly is the problem in your case?

Best regards

Denis

Hey @selimovd 
I used indian currency format in my powerbi report and in Powerbi desktop app it showing currency properly. but after publishing the report it automatically gets change to US dollar currency format.

Expected Format after published :- ₹ 1,00,00,000
Changing to this format after published :- ₹ 10,000,000

Thanks

Hey @selimovd The option you suggested works fine on Power Bi Service. The problem is same is not reflecting on Power Bi mobile app.

What may be the issue?

Thanks

Hey @shivar ,

that's a little surprising for me. Usually the formatting options also work in the mobile as it's just a display of the website.

Can you maybe delete the cache and try it again?

Best regards

Denis

Denis, 

It was working yesterday, today after publishing the formats chaanged.

What was that

Thanks

Hello @selimovd ,

The solution you provided works great with me. There is something where i need your help. In the below screenshot the "total sales amount" there is an extra comma before 59. Also in total enquiry amount there is no comma between 1 and 41 in 141.

comma.png

comma1.png

When the numbers are in thousands the values are showing commas in crores i.e 2 commas.

The numbers changes and in few visuals there are filters i cant keep the formats fixed.

Thanks

Hey @shivar ,

can you post your fomat string?

Best regards

Denis

Hey @selimovd 

comma2.png

The above is the format

Hey @shivar ,

you can do it less complicated.

Just write the sign for rupee (without quotes) and a normal comma. Then Power BI understands that you want a separator every thousand. If you put a backslash it will be interpreted as a special sign, so it will always display it.

Please try the following format string:

₹ #,##0

selimovd_0-1624346573311.png

Best regards
Denis

@selimovd I did the sames as suggested by you. In power bi desktop i was able to see the positive results. when i publish the reports to service it automatically gets converted to US system. I dont know what is the issue here.

v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @shivar 

According to your description, I thought that there is a way to fix the currency format compulsorily no matter it’s in the Power BI desktop or service. You can use the FORMAT() function in DAX to format the currency data, like this:

Currency= FORMAT ([Amount], """US$"" #,0.00" )

For more info about this function, you can refer to these links:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/format-function-dax

https://dax.guide/format/

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

shivar
Helper I
Helper I

Hello Collin,

The issue is with the power pi service. Currently i am using the trial version but in future i will use the power bi service pro. 

I have checked the regional setting but too it is not showing in the indian currency format.

Thanks

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @shivar 

I assume that you have the regional settings for the desktop set as per the following article:

Supported languages and countries/regions for Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

But, this is only in the Service that it changes, right?

Do you have this in a Premium Workspace?  if so, it is possible to set the region there as well.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

@collinq 

Yes, i have the premium workspace, but i am not able to locate the regional settings.

thanks

Hi @shivar ,

As @selimovd or @v-robertq-msft  you may have to use DAX.  But, you may also open a ticket with Microsoft to see if there is an overlooked setting somewhere.  Please let us know the result of that ticket.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Sure colin, i will check with power bi team.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors