Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PBITA

Credentials

Hi,

I have created a report on Pwer Bi desktop where the data are in a directory of my Sharepoint.

In the desktop i don't have problem of refreshing data, but after have published it on the web, i can't set the automatic refreshing of the data because the error said that the credentials there aren't the credentials but i also can't insert them in the setting page of the web power bi service.

Someone can help me?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PBITA 

You cannot refresh in Power BI Service without entering credentials in Settings=>Dataset=> Data source credentials .

So you need update your credentials then you can set scheduled refresh or refresh automatically in Power BI Service .

Ailsamsft_0-1627267252031.png

Sign in with your account that can access your Power BI Service .

Ailsamsft_1-1627267252035.png

When you update your credentials in Data source credentials ,you can see like this .

Ailsamsft_2-1627267252036.png

Then you can try to refresh automatically ,you can see the result in Refresh history .If it successfully ,the Status is Completed .

Ailsamsft_3-1627267252038.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PBITA 

You cannot refresh in Power BI Service without entering credentials in Settings=>Dataset=> Data source credentials .

So you need update your credentials then you can set scheduled refresh or refresh automatically in Power BI Service .

Ailsamsft_0-1627267252031.png

Sign in with your account that can access your Power BI Service .

Ailsamsft_1-1627267252035.png

When you update your credentials in Data source credentials ,you can see like this .

Ailsamsft_2-1627267252036.png

Then you can try to refresh automatically ,you can see the result in Refresh history .If it successfully ,the Status is Completed .

Ailsamsft_3-1627267252038.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yetao1-msft Hi Ailsa, 

I did the steps as you show in the snapshot, however, no matter what kind of combination I chose, it failed. 

For my case, the data source (excel) is stored in a company SharePoint site. I can get the updated data throughout the Power BI desktop report without a problem. But once I publish the report to Power BI Service, the dataset cannot be refreshed due to the failure of credentials. 

Do you know what should I do? I am a Power BI Pro license user. 

Best,

Na

Is this an on-premise sharepoint or sharepoint online?  In the first scenario you will need to use a gateway.

Hi @lbendlin ,

I am using SharePoint in Microsoft 365 (formerly known as "SharePoint Online"). any advice on how to fix the data source update credential issue?

Thank you in advance. 

Best,

Na

keep refreshing your OAUTH2 token in the dataset credentials section.  Annoying but there isn't much else you can do.  

aha, pain and annoying, wondering what is the failure root cause. 

It's not really a failure. Tokens should expire.  It would be nice if they would do so in predictable fashion. 

I tried more 20+ times to update the credential, it never work. I guess I have to give up here, frustrating....

If you have a Pro license you can consider raising a Pro ticket at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/pro/

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please specify what you mean by "my sharepoint" - is that your personal Sharepoint/OneDrive site? The recommendation is to use Team or Site sharepoint sites as data sources.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors