Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bstroescu
Frequent Visitor

Credentials provided for the VSTS source are invalid for DevOps

Hello all,

I published a report that has a DevOps project as data source and a SharePoint list.

The refresh works well on the Desktop Power BI, but when I published the report to a workspace and tried to configure the credentials for a scheduled refresh, I keep getting this error for the VSTS Data Source:

bstroescu_0-1650905967608.png

I tried all the Authentication methods with all Privacy levels, but I get the same error each time.

The queries from DevOps refresh without issues each time in Power BI Desktop and I am using the same credentials for both Desktop and Online Service.

Any thoughts on what I can try to solve this?

Thank you in advance!

9 REPLIES 9
dmead
Advocate I
Advocate I

I had this issue this morning after a password change, the error message kept coming up whenever I tried to update the dataset's credentials.

FWIW I found that after I logged into my organisation's DevOps (dev.azure.com) and then tried authenticating in Power BI service again it worked. Not sure if this is the real solution or a fluke but posting for others in the future who find this thread.

mkshtt
Regular Visitor

We are having the same issue - the scheduled refresh was working for a few months but then stopped after we turned off the Organization policy for "third party access via OAuth". Realizing that was the issue we turned it back on, but to no avail. It still is unable to authenticate even with same user logged in both desktop and server.

raimundoPneto

Got some way out ? 

I'm having the same incident, I've tried in every way. Works on Desktop normally.

letmartins
Regular Visitor

Hi @bstroescu , 

Have you found a solution to this problem? 

I've been having the exact same issue and also tried changing the credentials but nothing works.

Hi,

Not yet - I created a Microsoft Support ticket to troubleshoot this and will post an update once I meet with MS.

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bstroescu ,

You may try the solution from Community Support Xiaoxin in the following link. Hope it helps.

Solved: Can't "Schedule Refresh" when successfully connect... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Also, there is an existing ICM for this issue(299120999). Per the reply from product group, the failed reason is because the credential has been rejected by the data source. You need to make sure the right credential has been used. If you believe you did enter the right credential, then please contact the owner of this extension ("VSTS") to future debug.

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let me know. Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

if it was a user error, they wouldn't update the data on the desktop.

this method only works for oData , using the direct connect from devops to power bi is not working.

Hi,

I entered the right credential because I am connecting to the Azure DevOps project using the VSTS connector and I used the data to build the report.

The error appears when I publish the report online and I try to refresh (scheduled and manual) in a workspace that it fails.

I tried all methods of connecting through OAuth, Personal Access Token and Basic Authentication at all privacy levels and none of them works. They all give me the same error saying "Failed to update data source credentials: The credentials provided for the VSTS source are invalid. "

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors