Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mattmca
Frequent Visitor

Credentials for on-premises gateway setup and data source setup

We just recently set up the enterprise On-Premises Data Gateway. During the install, I had to enter my Microsoft login credentials. Later, when setting up data sources, I also had to enter my credentials. I am trying to determine whether we need to set up a service account rather than using my personal credentials, or how these credentials are being used. For example, if my password changes, will all of my data source connections become invalid? Or was this just a one-time check that is only used when setting up a data source? For others who use the data gateway, do you use a more generic service account when providing credentials?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Shahfaisal
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

When installing Power BI gateway, you can use your credentials if you don't have a dedicated Power BI admin account. The email address you use should have administrative rights in the Power BI service (and of course it should have a Power BI license).

The credentials you use for setting up data sources should be a dedicated account that is not tied to any user -Service Account, etc.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
sistemivpowerbi
Regular Visitor

Hello,

What credentials should someone use, if a gateway is used in multi-tenency environment? More precisely, what credentials should be used if a customer does not have it's own Power Bi account, but it is using "Embed for customers solution?".

Shahfaisal
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

When installing Power BI gateway, you can use your credentials if you don't have a dedicated Power BI admin account. The email address you use should have administrative rights in the Power BI service (and of course it should have a Power BI license).

The credentials you use for setting up data sources should be a dedicated account that is not tied to any user -Service Account, etc.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors