Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bpontius
Frequent Visitor

Credentials error when connecting to Excel file on Sharepoint folder

Been stumped by this for some time, reaching out for any help you all might have. 

I have two Excel files stored on a Sharepoint that I've connected to as Web Sources as instructed on this blog post. Connection and refresh works fine in PowerBI Desktop. However, when I attempt to enter data source credentials within the PowerBI service so I can set up scheduled refreshes I am unable to do so. 

When I attempt to use the Windows authentication method I get the below error: PowerBI_SharepointCredentialIssue2.png

When I attempt to log in using the OAuth2 method I am taken to my org's sign in page (this is normal and works for my other non-Sharepoint data sources), but when I click to login I am re-routed back to the PowerBI page and not actually logged in. 

PowerBI_SharepointCredentialIssue1.png

PowerBI_SharepointCredentialIssue3.png

PowerBI_SharepointCredentialIssue1.png

Any help on this would be excellent! 

Worth noting, I am able to sign in and everything works perfectly when files are hosted on OneDrive, but our team would prefer to have things hosted on a Sharepoint rather than on an individual's OneDrive account. 

Thanks in advance. 

When I attempt to connection using the OAuth 2 method I am routed to an organizational login page (this is normal and works for the other data sources I have), but when I click on the link to sign in I am redirected back to the PowerBI service page and not actually signed in. The following screenshots show this sequence: 

3 REPLIES 3
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @bpontius,

In my test, I didn't encounter this error when connecting to SharePoint site using OAuth authentication method. Please first make sure current account is valid that can log in SharePoint successfully. Also, if moving the same excel file to OneDrive, this problem didn't occur, right?

Besides, please run the Fiddler then repeat the steps to edit credential. Share .saz file here.

Here is a similar thread: OData or sharepoint list oAuth2 authentication not working

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Yuliana, 

Thanks for your response. Correct, the problem didn't occur when I put files on OneDrive. 

I'm unsure what you're referring to when you say to "run the Fiddler"? Is that a diagnostic tool? If so could you provide me with a link to the tool? 

Thanks! 

- Ben 

Hi @bpontius,

Here is a video showing how to trace Power BI with Fiddler.

Fiddler download page.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors