Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Creating data source

Hello,

I'm doing some tests with the PBI gateway.

I noticed that when I create a data source (SQL Server) using the server with the (FQDN) it does not appear for the user to configure in the workspance schedule.

When I create a data source (SQL Server) using the server as IP it appears for the user to configure in the workspance schedule.

When I create the connection using server name the connection status shows as successful.

I add the user in the datasource.

I'm using windows integrated authentication, the gateway server is on the same network/database domain.

I looked at the documentation and it should work.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-data-sources

What could be going wrong?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

using the FQDN is working as the connection is established. Shows successfully when we save, so it's working.

What happens is that this connection does not appear to the user in the gateway's data source list.

I was reading the documentation FAQ they mention that this happens when the datasource connection setup in PowerBI Desktop is not using the same server as the gateway datasource datasource.

I will test this today to confirm.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-onprem-tshoot#unable-to-see-t... get-data-experience-for-analysis-services-from-the-power-bi-service

#####

Issue: Cannot see data gateway data sources in experiment Get Analysis Services data through Power BI service

Solution: Make sure your account is listed on the Users tab of the data source in the gateway configuration. If you do not have access to the gateway, check with the gateway administrator and request verification. Only accounts in the Users list can see the data source listed in the Analysis Services list.
#####

Thanks.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

It seems that your issue has been resolved?

If so, please kindly Accept your post as the solution to make the thread closed. More people will benefit from it.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

If the FQDN is not working it would potentially be an issue that your Gateway server cannot resolve the FQDN to the IP Address.

If you can test the FQDN when you are logged into the Gateway Server?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

using the FQDN is working as the connection is established. Shows successfully when we save, so it's working.

What happens is that this connection does not appear to the user in the gateway's data source list.

I was reading the documentation FAQ they mention that this happens when the datasource connection setup in PowerBI Desktop is not using the same server as the gateway datasource datasource.

I will test this today to confirm.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-onprem-tshoot#unable-to-see-t... get-data-experience-for-analysis-services-from-the-power-bi-service

#####

Issue: Cannot see data gateway data sources in experiment Get Analysis Services data through Power BI service

Solution: Make sure your account is listed on the Users tab of the data source in the gateway configuration. If you do not have access to the gateway, check with the gateway administrator and request verification. Only accounts in the Users list can see the data source listed in the Analysis Services list.
#####

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors