Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Hamidrezaei
Frequent Visitor

Creating a new column with a cell value

Hi guys,

I want to create a column with a specific cell value which is located in the headline of the table, is there any way to do this? the picture below is an example of what I am trying to do.

I have tried this but it give me an error

= Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each {2}[Column3])

Untitled.png

Thank you for your help in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi Hamidrezaei,

There are a couple ways to do this.  The "easy" but brute force way is just to add a custom column to the table/query and enter the date.  Then, just trim out the rows you don't need.

ColumnA.png

ColumnB.png

A more "system" type approach would be to promote headers, making that date a column header, then unpivot that column.  Then, you would have to remove rows and promote headers and then rename the date to whatever the name is:

Initial Promoted HeadersInitial Promoted Headers

UnpivotUnpivot

Remove Rows, Promote Headers, Rename Date FieldRemove Rows, Promote Headers, Rename Date Field

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi Hamidrezaei,

There are a couple ways to do this.  The "easy" but brute force way is just to add a custom column to the table/query and enter the date.  Then, just trim out the rows you don't need.

ColumnA.png

ColumnB.png

A more "system" type approach would be to promote headers, making that date a column header, then unpivot that column.  Then, you would have to remove rows and promote headers and then rename the date to whatever the name is:

Initial Promoted HeadersInitial Promoted Headers

UnpivotUnpivot

Remove Rows, Promote Headers, Rename Date FieldRemove Rows, Promote Headers, Rename Date Field

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hi @collinq 

The problem with the unpivoting is that the date is changed every day , so the column name is not recognized the next day. Is there any other way to do this? 

Thank you @collinq 

The unpivot works!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors