Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Creating a dataset with an encrypted column which is unreadable for a workspace admin

Hello everybody,

first of all, I am quite unsure wether this is the right forum for this question or it belongs to Power BI Desktop, Power Query or Developer.

My goal is to create a Power BI report containing some highly sensitive data. We will get them via REST API.

The requirement is that only certain persons can read certain rows in the dataset - classic RLS. However, I will be the dataset and report creator as well as the workspace Admin. So RLS would not work for me, since I could see all of the data.

The only possibility I see is to encrypt the data on import, which could be done via custom connector. However, I am not sure how I would decrypt it for the eligable user. Is BYOK the way to go here?

Or is it simply not possible with Power BI?

Thank you in advance

Patrick

3 REPLIES 3
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution to make the thread closed. More people will benefit from it.

Hope to hear from you.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Evelyn,

thanks for your reply. However, I have to say no, my problem is not solved. I am still trying to find a workaround or viable solution. So I would like to keep it open in case anybody has an idea.

Best regards 

Patrick

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

To my knowledge, datasets admin could see and manage all data, so this scenario is currently not supported.

Refer to :

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Bring your own encryption keys for Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors