Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DavidSBikes
Frequent Visitor

Creating a auto refreshing report on Power BI Service with CSV file saved on OneDrive as datasource

Hello,

I am trying to create a report that can be shared with colleagues over Teams that will automatically update. But I am having some trouble in creating a report that refreshes automatically on Power BI Service that was created and published in Power BI Desktop.

The source dataset is a CSV file saved on my OneDrive for Business that is automatically updated every hour, using Flow. 

I have  used Get Data to load the dataset into a model Power BI Desktop. This has been done in two different ways in two seperate models:

1) Using the CSV Get Data option

2) Using the Web option, as descriobed in the following link (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-use-onedrive-business-links)

With each report I have then published the model on a Workspace on Power Bi Service, but the visualisations are not updating after being intially published.

I have also tried using the Get Data option within Power BI Service to bring in Power BI Desktop file into the Service, but again the reports in Power BI Service are not updating. (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-desktop-file-onedrive)

For all of the datasets/reports on Power BI Service I have OneDrive refresh turned on, so I would expect the Reports to update about every hour. Can anyone please tell me why this is not happening?

To note, I have not set yet set-up a On Premises Gateway. But my understanding, is that because all of the files are held in the O365 cloud there is no need for this, and the OneDrive refresh should be sufficent. Am I incorrect?

Please can can some support?

Thank you

David

8 REPLIES 8
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DavidSBikes,

Actually, if you only get data from onedrive with web connector, it can support onedrive refresh.
For your scenario, you also import one local file, you still need to config gateway for these combine datasources.

So you can try to upload local file to onedrive and use web connector to get both two files.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft , this almost seems to work. This has been a great help. 

This does now work but only if I use the manual Refresh Now option.

I have done as you suggested but the OneDrive Refresh doesn't seem to be working correctly. I have checked the Refresh History and it has not ran or completed once in the last four days. 

I believe this may be because the on the 'Data Source Credentials' the Authentication Method is reverting back to Anonymous despite me selecting OAuth2 method. Each time OAuth2 is chosen I am taken to a login page to use the same credentials that are used for my OneDrive. However if I immieidatly click on Data Source Credentials again, it was reverted back to Anonymous.

Am I right in thinking this is why the OneDrive Refresh isn't working? If so, is there a reason that the Authentication Method is reverting to Anonmyous?

To note, I also have Scheduled Refresh turned on to run once a day which runs sucessfully, but it does not update the dataset and Report. 

Thanks

David

Hi @DavidSBikes,

I guess you are upload pbix file to onedrive and direct use power bi service to connect this pbix file, right?

If this is a case, onedrive refresh is different as you thought. It only trigger when that source file(pbix) updated. It should be the reason you mentioned why it not refresh when data source(csv files) updated.

Package refresh

This synchronizes your Power BI Desktop, or Excel, file between the Power BI service and OneDrive, or SharePoint Online. This does not pull data from the original data source. The dataset in Power BI will only be updated with what is in the file within OneDrive, or SharePoint Online.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thank you very much for the input here: 

This thread is still relevant for me even though some time has passed since started.

So when even when I have an excel/csv file in onecloud and the power bi dektop file in onecloud, only the power bi dektop file is used when updating the data through the hourly onecloud refresh?

Do you know any way how to refresh hourly based on the excel/csv file?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

I had the same issue with similar setup.

• Both my pbix file and data excel file are on onedrive.
  • I connect the excel file on power bi desktop with the onedrive web link.
  • And I upload the pbix file on power bi service using sharepoint - teams site. 

When I used the onedrive refresh, it only refreshed changes on pbix file but it didn't update the changes in the excel data file.

So besides turning on the onedrive refresh, I think you have to turn on the schedule refresh. If you are on pro license, you can set up to 8 schedule refresh. And it works! Both changes in the pbix file and the data file will be updated in the report on power bi service. 

Hope this helps. You can try it out to see if it works for you too.  

@lukas1  Have you had any success with this?  Am trying to achieve the same thing.  Have files being sent to Onedrive account, powerbi is set up to pull files in from the onedrive account using sharepoint files and have published report to service from get data within the service, but it's not updating

Any help, gratefully appreciated.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am basically in the same boat -  developed nice report in desktop and selected source file is from my onedrive (browse to onedrive file),   upon publish to web, creates a datasource that cannot be refreshed.    Can successfully create a onedrive data source in web Power BI from the source file, but then how do I connect it desktop? It seems I have to create a whole separate web report to connect now to the onedrive. - these are both MS products why do they not talk

DavidSBikes
Frequent Visitor

To add, I have a Schdeduled Refresh setup on the dataset that is using the web link for the OneDrive file. However this is not updating the Report as expected.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors