Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Creating a Workspace for existing Group

When i create a workspace, it creates a new Group.  I can then add members and do all the normal things with that group that I would normally do.

On the flipside, if I already have a group with hundreds of members and i want to create a Workspace for that group, is there a way i can link the existing group to PowerBI such that a new Workspace appears for it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok i think i know what i was doing wrong.  I think I created my 'Test Group' from inside SharePoint Online.  It sent me the Welcome email and from here it seemed to act as a normal group.  This time i created it from within 'People' on Office 365 and everything worked perfectly!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

@Anonymous From my experiance, and the documentation here, it doesn't matter where you create the Group. If you already have an existing Group it should show up as a workspace without any additional work on your end.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried this myself yesterday before posting.  I created a workspace as a test and got the group.  I then created a 2nd group through office 365 but no workspace was created.  This lead me to believe either i've missed a step or that it might not work that way.  Reading your response it must mean i've missed a step, but i have no idea what that step might be?

Hi @Anonymous,

Can you share some detail operation steps? I test on my side and it works well.

In addition, please make sure you create a office 365 group, current security group seems not support.

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok i think i know what i was doing wrong.  I think I created my 'Test Group' from inside SharePoint Online.  It sent me the Welcome email and from here it seemed to act as a normal group.  This time i created it from within 'People' on Office 365 and everything worked perfectly!

I have the same issue at the moment - how do you mean from the "People" part of Office 365?

May have solved my own issue - it seems that when you create a Group in O365, you are the Owner but not added as a Member. In order for PBI to add it is a workspace automatically - it appears it needs one member in the group - it then takes about 15 mins to synch and appear in PBI once you add that member - the member can be the same as the owner.

When you add a Team in Teams and it creates a group - the member is auto added that created the group and therefore appears in PBI after a wait for synching, this was confusing me as to why a group added in Teams appears in PBI but not a group adde in O365.

Hope that helps someone.

@Anonymous Thanks for the update! Glad you got it working.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors