Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

satyajittarai

Creating PowrBI connecting to Azure Datawarehous

Dear Team,

I need to create a PowerBI solution where different user needs to connect with Read, Read/Write etc access.

While creating I can observe, we need to download Power Bi Desktop or mobile to develop Chats/Graphs.

Is Power Bi Desktop is necessary? Can I do directly on Power BI web browser?

I need to connect to Synapse Analytics(formly SQL DW).

So is it possible to connect to SQL DW from browser or mobile when SQl DW is restricted?

Thanks

Satyajit

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@satyajittarai You will want to connect using the Power BI Desktop. It is the only area where you can develop the model and build calculations. The key parts of building a report. The Service only supports using all those elements to create visuals. Start in the Desktop and deploy to the Service to share.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

@satyajittarai This expands things a bit. If you are using Pro licenses in the Service, you can upload a Power BI Desktop file (PBIX) up to 1GB.

If you have a Premium license you can upload up to a 3GB file (I believe this is the limitation still, I think it will eventually jump higher). UPDATE: Just checked this, the limit is 10 GB atm)
Alternatively, if you have a much larger dataset and require a significantly bigger model you can leverage Azure Analysis Services as the model engine and live connect the Power BI file to that model. This is how you would scale to really large models and get great performance in the report.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@satyajittarai You will want to connect using the Power BI Desktop. It is the only area where you can develop the model and build calculations. The key parts of building a report. The Service only supports using all those elements to create visuals. Start in the Desktop and deploy to the Service to share.

Thanks for reply.

I will inform to stockholders about this.

Once we feed the dataset in Power BI Saas. How much data it can hold upto?

How much datasets we can create?

Regards,

Satyajit

@satyajittarai This expands things a bit. If you are using Pro licenses in the Service, you can upload a Power BI Desktop file (PBIX) up to 1GB.

If you have a Premium license you can upload up to a 3GB file (I believe this is the limitation still, I think it will eventually jump higher). UPDATE: Just checked this, the limit is 10 GB atm)
Alternatively, if you have a much larger dataset and require a significantly bigger model you can leverage Azure Analysis Services as the model engine and live connect the Power BI file to that model. This is how you would scale to really large models and get great performance in the report.

@Seth_C_Bauer Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors