Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jerzin
Frequent Visitor

Created APP from Premium workspace need another premium workspace to be premium?

Hi all, want to ask about PBI APPs. I have a premium workspace provided for the dashboard for my teams. Now the system needs verified users to see the reports and dashboard. I wanted to create an APP where all company should see it without granting access via email address. I chose one report and created an APP. APP does not have the diamond, so I guess I need to ask my provider for ANOTHER premium space for this app? Am I Correct? Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Ah that makes sense, you're using a Template App Workspace: that works a little bit different. I'll have to research that a bit before I can give you an answer on that one. I'll get back to that.

But the first question is: do you need to share the app with users outside your organization? Otherwise you should create a regular workspace. So that means not checking this box when creating a workspace.

image.png

Please let me know what you want to achieve with the app you're making.

Did this help you or did I answer your question?
Then please give kudos or mark my post as a solution!
My blog: nickyvv.com
Twitter: @NickyvV

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Jerzin there are a few different options that can help you.

You can only create one App per workspace. If the workspace is in Premium capacity, the app will also automatically be in Premium capacity. So the App you created last, was not from a Premium workspace I assume?

As for publishing the app:

First, you have the option to publish an App to your entire organization. But this option has to be enabled by your Power BI Administrator in the Admin Portal:

image.png

You can also publish the app to an Azure AD-group containing all the users in your organisation.

This is also the place where you can select Entire organization, if the option is enabled.

image.png

I created App from workspace with premium capacity (Diamond), there was an option to create an APP, then a new workspace named by the APP name was created, and it is not premium space (no diamond).

Maybe it is because my workspace has more dashboards, reports, and datasets?

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

There are 2 things:

You can create a workspace:

image.png

And you can publish an app:

image.png

Which one did you use? I'm guessing the first one. You can then either put that new workspace in Premium capacity (or let the Capacity Admin do that), or use the other workspace that IS in Premium.

Hi again,

my premium workspace looks like this. this is report page:

Power BI and 2 more pages - Microsoft Edge.png

When I click the create app, it creates a new APP, when I went through the release management, and later find it in the APP sheet, it installed the app, and it created a new for it workspace, but not a premium one.

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Ah that makes sense, you're using a Template App Workspace: that works a little bit different. I'll have to research that a bit before I can give you an answer on that one. I'll get back to that.

But the first question is: do you need to share the app with users outside your organization? Otherwise you should create a regular workspace. So that means not checking this box when creating a workspace.

image.png

Please let me know what you want to achieve with the app you're making.

Well, i did not see i tick that box. I guess we do not need visitors outside our applications. Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors