Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jhaast
Helper II
Helper II

Create dashboard by Endusers

Hi People,

Currently, I create the PBI reports, publish them to PBI Service, apply RLS, create dashboards and share the dashboards with the end-users. 

However, the end-users would also create dashboards by themself. The underlying datasets contains data of different departments and the end-users are only allowed to see one or a few departments. 

Can somebody tell me how the end-users can create a dashboard without seeing the whole dataset?

3 REPLIES 3
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @jhaast,

you will need to give the users the Build permission on the dataset. That way they can build new reports on that dataset, but can't edit existing ones, and RLS is still applied.
Have a look at Power BI User Access Levels: Build and Edit are different for a thorough walk-through.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Hi Nicky, 

Thank you for your response! That helps to let the end-users create reports. However, the end-users are not able to create dashboards based on the reports which they have access to.  Do you know a workaround to give the end-users only access to their part of the dataset, a viewer roll to the workspace and let them create Dashboards?

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @jhaast,

the Viewer role does honour RLS in the workspace, but is only meant for read-only access. So not for creating or editing items.

To be able to create dashboards, they will need at least a Contributor role, but then RLS won't work anymore, so you see the Catch-22 there..

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors