Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

daniele_tiles
Helper II
Helper II

Create a copy of a report from an app and edit with PBI Desktop?

Hi to all,

we are trying to set the governance of PBI. We have thought something like this:

1. We have an official workspace where IT publish datasets and report
  2. The workspace has got an app, published to users and power users
  3. A power user can save a copy of the report, edit the report, and publish it on another workspace

In this way we should be certain that the power users access the data only from the datasets from the report made by the IT, which will have all the RLS, rules, and so on. In fact, if I save the report from the app, the copy of the report is based on the dataset from the app.

What made me worry today is that I could do everything (I'm a Power BI Administrator), from a report published on a shared workspace (with Premium capacity), I could save as the report from the app into my personal workspace...but I couldn't donwload it.

So it's editable only from web I guess. I've found this post that it's similar, but I'd like to understand if this also the case, or if there is some option to enable in the Administrator console.https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Download-a-copy-of-a-report-in-PBI-Service/m-p/1286586#M105...

Best regards

Daniele Tiles

3 REPLIES 3
daniele_tiles
Helper II
Helper II

Sorry, that doesn't seem a solution to me, just a test. I'd like to have a more precise information (in which cases is allow to download the PBIX of a copy of a report).
Best regards

Daniele

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @daniele_tiles 

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution. More people will benefit from it. Or you are still confused about it, please provide me with more details about your problem.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @daniele_tiles 

You want to download the report which was saved from other apps.

You may meet the case as the post you found.

"If you create a Power BI report based on a dataset in one workspace and publish to a different workspace, you and your users won't be able to download it. The download feature is currently not supported in this scenario."

I have a test. I save a report from my app into my personal workspace.

And I couldn't download the report from my personal workspace as well.

1.png

You may ask your IT to add you as a member in your official workspace, then you can download the report from the worksapce directly.

And you need to turn on the download function in Tenant setting in Admin portal (Need to be a Power BI admin or a global admin).

2.png

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors