Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

erikashby

Create a PowerBI Gateway for a Web data load

I created a Power BI query using the PowerBI desktop to downlaod data through a web API.  The problem is that my query uses (getpage) since the data requires mutliple pages to downlaod and for somereason this will not work in PowerBI (Web).

OK, so now to step two; Create a gateway and do it locally.  After installing the gateway, I cannot find ANY instructions for how I can connect my query that I create in PowerBI desktop to the gateway instance and the data-source that I created in the cloud so that I can schedule a refresh.

The gateway is configured, a (WEB) datasource is created in PowerBI (cloud), and is validated, and I have a (WEB) Query in my local PowerBI Desktop that works great...  How do I connect them up.

All the documentation shows how to connect to SQL servers, AD and other sources.

Ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
erikashby

I created a local PowerBI query in my desktop that works great to pull down results from a web API that requires paging, howerver when publishing to PowerBI the query cannot be refreshed;  (Seems the service has an issue with GetPage used to download from multiple pages)

So, I installed the PowerBI Gateway, configured the gateway, created a (WEB) datasource in the PowerBI service, and tested the connection.  ALL WORKS.  Now I cannot find any references to how to connect the Query that I crated in PowerBI desktop to the Datasource that I created through the gateway?

Does anyone have any reference to how to connect a querty to the datasorce created through the gateway?

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @erikashby,

As you have installed and configured the gateway, and added the datasource to it in Power BI Service, you just need to publish your report from Desktop to Service, then you should be able to schedule a refresh for your dataset as long as the datasource matches like Eno1978 said.Smiley Happy See How the gateway works.

Regards

This is not exactly accurate, his question is regarding publishing Power BI workbooks whose data source is from JSON, so no refreshes are happening on a local SQL Server etc. His question is why cannot these dashboards be allowed to refresh in the same fashion and not be predicated on a gateway in the first place as the data is web based. This is a rather serious incongruency in the architecture, as the strongest feature of Power BI compared to its competitors are the robust XML and JSON (now part of Tableau) and Web Data pulls.

@erikashby As long as the data source matches, you can just publish the report to the Service and be able to refresh... Is this what you are asking?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors