Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create Dataflow for company SQL Database accessed via VPN

Hi,

I have an SQL Database on company network that can be accessed only thru company VPN installed on my system. I am able to do so with Power BI Desktop if VPN is  switched on i.e. i am authenticated on VPN. But if i try to copy the same M-code and try to create a dataflow in Power BI Service online, by pasting the M-code, it does not work but gives `Unexpected error`.

Any viable solutions on how to create a Power BI Dataflow that can access this database? Please note that once this dataflow gets created, it will be used by many other users for creating their dashboards and reports.PowerBI Dataflow error for SQL Database credentials.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, there might be gateway already installed in your Org netwrok, Are you Power BI admin in your Org

If Yes - Configure a new gateway as suggested in previous reply

If Not - Please reach out you Power BI Admin team, they would be able to help to access the dateway

The gateway option will be greayed out untill you do not have access to a gateway/datacource

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution and give it a thumbs up

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
arvindsingh802
Super User
Super User

To access on Premise data from Dataflow you would need Power BI Gateway

On-premises data gateway - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution and give it a thumbs up

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

You mean a personal gateway or a standard one? if standard one, where does it get installed and how does one configure it, so that it can be used by all PBI Service users in org?

Enterprise Gateway will let multiple users to use same gateway

Install the gateway on Server running 24*7  & within your organization network so it will not require VPN  and once configured it can be accessed from anywhere to manage data sources from manage gateway option

To Configure Use the on-premises data gateway app | Microsoft Docs

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution and give it a thumbs up

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just curious...If my Co or org has an enterprise VPN, wouldn't that mean that an Enterprise gateway maybe already installed on the Co network? Or is VPN different from an Enterprise gateway? How do they work for the PBI Service?

Right now, if i open an Dataflow on my Power BI service and check its Settings > Gateway connection, i see that it is greyed out and Off. I cannot click it. So my question is, if my Co has an Enterprise gateway, what should i do or ask them to do, to make it show up here?

sifar786_0-1624005589548.png

Yes, there might be gateway already installed in your Org netwrok, Are you Power BI admin in your Org

If Yes - Configure a new gateway as suggested in previous reply

If Not - Please reach out you Power BI Admin team, they would be able to help to access the dateway

The gateway option will be greayed out untill you do not have access to a gateway/datacource

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Arvind.

I will reach out to my PBI Admin team and see if they can help us access the gateway.

Cheers!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors