Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jomu
Helper I
Helper I

Create Dashboard without rights to change a report

Hi,

first of all I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. If not please advice me.

My problem:

I create/maintain several reports via Power BI Desktop and publish them to the cloud into a specific workspace.

At next I give some other users the right to use these reports - but only as Read-Only.

So far all works fine.

Now some users want to assign some charts from the report to their very own dashboard. This does not work until I give the users the right to change the report.

But changing the report is out of question (because users could see/use some tables/data they should not see).

Is there any way (configuration) that a user can pin some charts (etc.) to a dashboard when he has only read-only rights for a report?

Any help is really apprecited!

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Tad17
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Thanks for your help and the pointers.

I am sorry to say that the issue is not yet solved.

Let me reformulate my problem:

1) I have some reports and publish them into a Workspace.

2) Then I create a simple Dashboard based on these reports.

3) Then I create an App (consists of my reports and the simple Dashboard)

4) The App is published for user max@somewhere.com

Now user max@somewhere.com should be able to pin some charts to the Dashboard. But user max@somewhere.com should not be able to change the report.

Whatever I do: user max@somewhere.com can only pin to the dasboard when he is also able to change the report.

The pin needle icon (upper right corner of a chart) is grayed out when the user has no right to change the report.

Greetings,

JoMu

I see. Unfortunately, if they cannot edit the reports or dashboard then they cannot pin visuals to their own dashboards.

My thought is to pin all of the visual to another dashboard and then give them full access to the dashbaord and then denying access  to the underlying report: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Sharing-Dashboard-without-sharing-Report/td-p/603804

My only other thought is to create a copy of the report and then anytime they jack up the one they have access to you overwrite it with the backup (which I'm sure is what you are doing now, but still seems like it may be the easier option and the lesser of two evils).

Thanks for all the input. Seem's that there is no easy solution ...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors