Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GULAF79
Frequent Visitor

Couldn't refresh my dataflow with an on-premise gateway

Hi,

I have a problem with my dataflow and on-premise gateway. I have a Oracle database that I want to schedule the refresh overnight. I am not able to schedule a refresh of my dataflow when my computer is not open. I still have the following error:

“ Couldn't refresh the dataflow because the on-premises data gateway was unreachable. Please verify that it's online and configured correctly and try again. Request ID: 65eec018-0970-4adf-9add-f747746057f4 Activity ID: db0e0378-46fa-45e9-ae4f-bbeec9721041”

I think maybe is because my gateway is install locally, but I’m not sure. I already follow all the instructions in the microsoft documentation. Can someone help me?

I also have sometimes an error that says: “Error: Internal error Request ID: aca9dfda-7c5e-8670-87f3-45a1128c9e94 Activity ID: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000” when I try to do it when my computer is open.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @GULAF79 

It’s my pleasure to answer for you.

According to your description,I think you maybe a little confused about conditions of running a gateway.

No matter what kind of gateway you install, you should know that:

• Gateways aren't supported on Server Core installations.
  • The user installing the gateway must be the admin of the gateway.
  • The gateway can't be installed on a domain controller.
  • If you're planning to use Windows authentication, make sure you install the gateway on a computer that's a member of the same Active Directory environment as the data sources.
  • You shouldn't install a gateway on a computer, like a laptop, that might be turned off, asleep, or disconnected from the internet. The gateway can't run under any of those circumstances.
  • If a gateway uses a wireless network, its performance might suffer.
  • You can install up to two gateways on a single computer: one running in personal mode and the other running in standard mode. You can't have more than one gateway running in the same mode on the same computer.

If you must shut down, you can’t schedule a refresh at night.

Reference link:Step-by-Step guide to update Microsoft Gateway use... - Microsoft Power BI Community

If it doesn’t solve your problem, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@GULAF79 - You will need to download the gateway installation file to your server and then run the installation while logged onto your server. I would recommend having a gateway installation account that is separate from your personal logon.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler do you mean that i have to install the gateway on something like this : 

GULAF79_0-1630590959926.png

Because the size of the gateway installation file is so big that i've never been able to finish the installation.

Thanks.

Hi, @GULAF79 

You can check the link I sent before. Powerbi's gateway is not like this. 

Download link: Power BI Gateway | Microsoft Power BI

Document:On-premises data gateway - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Janey

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@GULAF79 - Well, if you installed the gateway locally on your machine then yes it will not refresh without the computer running. Sounds like you need to install the gateway on a server that is always running. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler, thanks for the answer. How can I do that? In the installation of my gateway, I saw nowhere to configure it on a server?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors