Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Couldn't refresh because your Personal Gateway is offline. Make sure your Personal Gateway is up....

Hi!

I have a pbix report on Power BI which uses a calendar dataset from azuremarketplace and several Web queries from Trello.

The Azure dataset seems to struggle to keep the OData login type and the Web ones are set to anonymous (as authentication is done in the Web query string)

If I try to do a manual refresh I am getting the error:

Couldn't refresh because your Personal Gateway is offline. Make sure your Personal Gateway is up and running.

As I don't have a Personal Gateway (I am running on the free version) and none of these datasets would use a Personal Gateway if I did, I am somewhat non-plussed by this error message!

I have setup a scheduled refresh on a daily basis, but I don't yet know whether that will work, but I suspect not!

Ian

7 REPLIES 7
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

I am going to take a guess here that for some reason when trying to do a refresh from the Power BI Service it expects there to be a Personal (On-Premise) gateway present.

And due to this when it is published into the Power BI Service it fails?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Datagateway is installed and working fine.

So why is this still giving this error ???

Anyone still has an idea how to resolve this...using a new Web datasource on power bi .com is still an issue...the datagateway goes offline when publishing the report and we can not resolve this ... any ideas ???

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, should have posted the full details of the error:

Couldn't refresh because your Personal Gateway is offline. Make sure your Personal Gateway is up and running.

Make sure the computer where the gateway is installed is turned on and the gateway is running. Also, make sure the credentials provided in the Data Source Credentials section in the Datasets Settings page are up to date.
Activity ID48662acd-f9ca-45af-aae5-4c44069c2a0c
Request ID7d61f2cd-627d-2293-f397-6d4ef03d25a4
Status code200
TimeFri Feb 26 2016 14:47:10 GMT+0000 (GMT Standard Time)
Version13.0.800.508
Anonymous
Not applicable

Curiouser & Curiouser......

It appears that the Scheduled Refresh has worked correctly, but when I try and do a "Refresh Now" it fails with this error.

Should I be reporting this apparent Service Issue anywhere else than here?

I have the same issue when trying to refresh any of my web-based data sources. I'm getting the same error (Couldn't refresh because your Personal Gateway is offline. Make sure your Personal Gateway is up and running) when trying to refresh a Google Analytics data source or an Azure Application Insights data source.

As above, neither of these should require a Personal Gateway - or so I understand.

I have a similar issue with web sources... when publishing to powerbi.com the refresh does not work anymore ! on Powerbi desktop it goes fine.  Any feedback ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors