Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alexhauge
Advocate I
Advocate I

Couldn't load the model schema

Hello All,

I am receiving an error stating "Couldn't load the model schema" in Power BI Desktop when making formatting changes to my data model within Power BI Desktop.  My data source is an Azure SQL Server Database and all of my relationships are defined in Power BI.  The strange thing is that the error seems to come up fairly randomly.  I just clear the error, refresh the data in the .pbix file, and it is typically good to go until it loses the "model schema" again.  Does anyone else run into this issue or know what could be causing it?

Thanks,

Alex

7 REPLIES 7
bshiaw
Regular Visitor

Hi all, 

I'm having the same issue and getting the 'Couldn't load model schema'.  

The strange thing this is an existing PBIX file (that was made a couple of months ago) with the same connection using DirectQuery works fine but when trying to create a new PBIX file with the same configurations/database/etc., I continually get this error message. I am using an Azure SQL database. 

The table data actually loads and I can view. However due to this error, I cannot actually use the data for any visualizations. 

This error consistently happens for me. Is there a setting/configuration that I need to configure? I am utilizing the latest PowerBI

We finally got it to work. 

If for whatever reason you have the port number after your server address, remove it and it should work. 

EX: Input 'coolpowerbi.database.net' instead of 'coolpowerbi.database.net:5454'

Anonymous
Not applicable

I created a dashboard with direct query connection two months ago, after I worked some dashboards with import connection but coulnd't reopen the direct query dashboards. I updated my Power BI to october 2017 version and it worked Smiley Happy just like that

wsteele

I get a similar issue when I do a direct connect to my SQLServer database.  I am able to connect to the DB, but PowerBI desktop kicks out an error when processing.  I can see the tables I selected on the "Relationships" view, but on the "Report" view I don't see any of the tables/fields in the "Fields" pane on the right.  I don't know if this is an issue with a configuration on the actual SQLServer instance I am hitting or not.  Funny thing is, when I hit the same database that is running on a MySQL platform rather than SQLServer, I can successfuly pull in model schema and then start building reports.  I have had this issue when using both the August and September updates of PowerBI.  Those are the only I have tried this on.

Any ideas?  

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @alexhauge,

What's your version of Power Bi desktop? I personally suggest you download the latest version and check if the error dispears.

Thanks,
Angelia

Hi @v-huizhn-msft,

Unfortunately the version doesn't seem to matter.  I am currently running the July update and am still seeing the error.

Thanks,

Alex

Hi @alexhauge,

Please create a support ticket on the right bottom, and let the Product Group to check where the issue comes from.

Thanks,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors