Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Miruthan
Advocate II
Advocate II

Couldn't load the data for this visual - Working in Desktop but not in enbedded and powerbi service

Hi Experts,

I am using direct query from Azure DB, the visuals are working fine in PowerBI desktop, but couple of visual is broken in PowerBI service and embeeded with the below error. We have enabled RLS as we are using this feature.

Couldn't retrieve the data for this visual. Please try again later.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Activity IDdb868c01-4618-041c-7773-6ecdc85b7bf4
Request ID35e3cffd-61f2-9d86-c7ad-4c2e2c6f06c3
Correlation IDf55e78a5-80dd-1766-06dd-e40be1e4cf44
TimeThu Apr 19 2018 15:34:54 GMT+0100 (GMT Summer Time)
Version13.0.4965.191

Not able to find the root casue too.

It would be really helpful if you share your thoughts.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I can confirm this has been resolved by Microsoft.  I'm not sure what the issue was or how they solved it but our powerbi embedded reports using directquery are now working again .  Hopefully it's working for everyone else as well 🙂

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
JackSprat
Helper I
Helper I

This is till broken in powerbi gov...

Specifically we cannot display visual for anything even in the portal when using direct query through a gateway to SQL VM's in Azure.  The gateways are all showing a good connection to the servers, but we get issues when we try to get the report to connect to the data.  (We do have the firewall rules in place, else we would not see the gateways).  This was working fine in the portal and embedded in our app prior to our move to PowerBiGOV.  

It's still working as expected over here.  I think you'll have to submit a support ticket for them to investigate.  The support ticket # I had last time was 118042318053858 but I'm not sure if this is related.  Either way, might it help them.

jmccurdy

Hi,

we are now having this issue again on Power BI Embedded. Are we aware how Microsfoft fixed it the last time

Kind Regards

John

jmccurdy

Hi,

we are now having this issue again on Power BI Embedded. Are we aware how Microsfoft fixed it the last time

Kind Regards

John

quintoncoish
Frequent Visitor

I'm experiencing the exact same issue using embedded with role-level-security.

The report works perfectly on the desktop but when embedded only some visuals are loading while others give an error.  It worked perfectly up until yesterday and we haven't made any changes to the reports or the way the embedded reports render within our application within the past few weeks.

One thing I noticed is that if I start to remove fields from the table that's giving the 'load error' then it loads without any errors.  If I put the fields I remove in another table they display correctly - so it doesn't look like it's an issue with any calculated formula fields.

Any suggestions for help would be great.

Thanks!

PBI Desktop: 2.57.5068.501 64-bit (April, 2018)

using DirectQuery Mode to Azure SQL

using Role Level Security

using embedded powerbi within our website

image.png

I've oppened a support ticket with Microsoft - I'll post updates here once I hear back from them.

Great! , Waiting for your solution.

Microsoft is working on a solution for the issue in this post and will be posting updates here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

"Some Power BI users may not see certain visuals when viewing reports using Direct Query. Engineers have found the issue and are working on deploying a fix. Next update @ 04/24/2018 10:00 PM UTC."

I can confirm this has been resolved by Microsoft.  I'm not sure what the issue was or how they solved it but our powerbi embedded reports using directquery are now working again .  Hopefully it's working for everyone else as well 🙂

Hi,

I am facing the same issue again. I am using Direct Query and the source is Azure SQL Database.

For some visuals it works fine, but for others, it shows error 'couldn't retrieve the data for this visual. please try again later.'

Could someone please help me out?

Thanks,

Medha

@quintoncoishThank you!, it is working for me too.

Exactly the same issue with us. I think it is a bug. It is blocked production deployment,powerbi team in tremendous pressure. MS must give some solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors