Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lucas105
Advocate II
Advocate II

Couldn't load data for this visual - AAS live connection

Hi, 

We've developed a Power BI dashboard that's pulling data in live connection from Azure Analysis Services and we're recieving more and more complains about performance and/or crashing visuals showing X with see details. 

The error is most generic and says just "couldn't load the data for this visual", so I can't really deal with that anyhow as Microsoft's documentation says "this is a transient issue". 

I've read about limit for line chart visuals having low maxium number of points, but I don't think this is an issue here as either gauges, line charts or even cards can throw this error. 

I've also checked specific metrics such as QPU's and connections ,but that don't seem to be an issue as sometimes they do hit a limit, but sometimes don't and crashed visuals are still there. 

Can you advise what can I do to investigate and help in case of this issue apart from advising to reload the page? 🙂 

I'd also appreciate any guidance in terms of improving performance. 

Best, 

Luc 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@lucas105 If the users are nailing this down to a particular visual I would suggest you analyze the performance of the measures / calculations you are using. Based on other threads I've dug into related to this error it is likely a performance issue. On a related but different take, returning millions of rows of detail information could result in memory exceptions as well. Worth using the tools over at SQL BI - DAX Studio, SSAS Activity Monitor, etc. https://www.sqlbi.com/tools/

I'd look at your model, not Power BI since you are using live connection.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

@lucas105 If the users are nailing this down to a particular visual I would suggest you analyze the performance of the measures / calculations you are using. Based on other threads I've dug into related to this error it is likely a performance issue. On a related but different take, returning millions of rows of detail information could result in memory exceptions as well. Worth using the tools over at SQL BI - DAX Studio, SSAS Activity Monitor, etc. https://www.sqlbi.com/tools/

I'd look at your model, not Power BI since you are using live connection.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors