cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advocate I
Advocate I

Could not load file or assembly 'System.Runtime.CompilerServices.Unsafe while refresh in service

Yesterday all working fine, but today refresh failed in all our reports in PowerBI service (we haven't changed reports since yesterday).

Same error in all reports:

An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Could not load file or assembly 'System.Runtime.CompilerServices.Unsafe, Version=4.0.4.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)'

Reports contains PostgreSQL and web contents datasources.

What can we do to fix this?

30 REPLIES 30
Helper I
Helper I

Thanks MS for the fix,

But, hey! Since we all use Postgres, I want to make everyone aware of the TimescaleDB extension we have available. Timescale recently released v1.7, but as of v1.5 they implemented native database compression with a ratio of about 20:1. You can learn about it here.

Unfortunately, Azure's Postgres Service only supports v1.3.2 - please upvote this idea if you want to massively increase your PostgreSQL server's performance. If you're using a VM - get it already!

Frequent Visitor

Update for everyone other who did not observe the service page: The issue has been fixed until last night. Postgres datasets updates works again. 🎉

This is unbelievable. It seems they are always trying to sabotage Postgres users. I am facing the same issue and it started on the same day.

Hi,

Same issue is coming for me too. The on-demand and scheduled data refresh in power bi server was working fine beforehand, now getting issue since monday. Still no issue in loading and refreshing data from the same source in Power BI desktop.

I am using postgresql azure PaaS database. The issue i am getting is :

An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Could not load file or assembly 'System.Runtime.CompilerServices.Unsafe, Version=x.x.x.x, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=xxxxxxxxxx' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)' 

Frequent Visitor

Hi @aibatalov 

I just had the same problem because I was not using a Gateway Connection. 
I solved the problem by enabling a Gateway and installing npgsql v4.0.10 on it.

Hope it helps somehow!

Regular Visitor

I got a call from Microsoft the issue is on the awareness list: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Frequent Visitor

Same issue here. No gateway. Can't see any data.

Helper I
Helper I

Same issue here, Postgresql DB on Azure server, no gateway, failing on all reports. All of them are either import-only or mixed-mode storage.

I have been experiencing the same problem for a few days. Hosting a Postgresql as a Database-as-a-service on Azure. Not using any gateway.

Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @aibatalov ,

Would you please try to update your gateway to the latest version? You can also refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/dotnet/framework/manifest-definitions-dont-match-refer...

If this post help, please consider accept it as the solution to help other member find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Regular Visitor

Do you have a solution yet? I'm experiencing the exact same issue.

Same Issue here as well, any solution ?

Advocate I
Advocate I

My ticket escalated too. Waiting for some solution.

Inform when you get some more details. We have same issue.

Regular Visitor

I have the same setup as @daneri Azure for PostgreSQL, no gataway and the data using Direct Query is not working online.

But, data import refresh is not working. 

My ticket is escalated to the Product Team as well.

Post Patron
Post Patron

Hello @aibatalov  @daneri  @Anonymous  @neonguyen 

The best possible way to see why this is happening is to open a support ticket for it.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Power BI customers white listing certificate authorities for their applications may experience issues with the Power BI gateway and OData data sources with the message, "The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel" due to recent changes in Azure TLS. As a workaround for the gateway issues, customers can refer to the online documentation to download new root certificates and add them to System/Computer Trusted Root Certificate Authorities store on the gateway machines.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same issue using direct query to an Azure for PostgreSQL db. No users can access the report via PowerBI Service. The connection works fine, and the data refreshes correctly for me as the admin on desktop. 

I am unable to recconect the gateway as @Surya678 suggested: image.png

I have the exact same issue with the exaxt same setup... 

Same setup as you:

Azure for PostgreSQL, no gataway and the data using Direct Query is not working online.

Data using import mode is working.

Sent in a Support Ticket, where they escalated the issue to the Product Team. Will update when I get more info. 

Have you received updates from the Support Team? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Happy New Year from Power BI

This is a must watch for a message from Power BI!

December Update

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the December 2020 Updates!

Community Blog

Check it Out!

Click here to read the latest blog and learn more about contributing to the Power BI blog!

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!.

Top Solution Authors